Upside Down Apple Cake

Upside down apple cake

I’ve been looking for a way to bake apples and a cake together, and I was inspired by a recipe I read at La Tartine Gourmande. I use almond flour, however you can substitute your flour of choice – the amount of flour necessary may vary depending on the type of flour you use. It came out so moist and delicious, my son asked to have just the cake again, or add other things to it. I can imagine putting raisins and walnuts in the cake, or eating it alone as a pound cake. In any case, this cake recipe is definitely a keeper.

I’ve modified this recipe since originally posting it in order to remove some moisture from the cake. I’ve lowered the amount of honey I add (from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup), and I use dripped yogurt now. Also, to insure the center bakes fully, I’ve lowered the temperature, and I bake it a bit longer.

How to drip yogurt

I use dripped yogurt in this recipe quite often. To drip yogurt (also referred to as greek yogurt for it’s thickness), I place a strainer in a saucepan, then place a paper towel (or coffee filter) in the strainer, and finally place the yogurt in the paper towel. I put the saucepan top on and let it drip away, sometimes over night in the refrigerator. The longer you drip it, the more water drips out (I know that sounds obvious, but I thought I’d confirm that fact and encourage you to drip it as long as possible).

Posted in Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  38 Comments

38 Responses to Upside Down Apple Cake

1. Jo Ann Smith says:

Dear Erica,
      Thanks you so much for sharing your beautiful website with us. It is absolutely gorgeous! I am going to make the apple cake tonight, so much more to see and do. Wish we lived closer, would love to the SCD yogurt in grocery stores. We can start our own business. Want to try the mango pops also. Better get pack to reading.
      Bravo!!!! Great Job!!!! Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your beatiful family.
      Jo Ann

2. EricaKerwien says:

Thanks Jo Ann! Best wishes, Erica.

3. elizabeth says:

this recipe looks so beautiful! i really enjoy your blog. i can’t have dairy, do you think non dairy yogurt in place of dairy yogurt, and coconut in place of butter would work here? i’m planning on making this cake today!
      thanks for sharing any tips,
      liz

Thanks, Liz!
      Yes, I think a dairy substitute would work. The dairy adds some moisture and protein elasticity to help the cake stay together. I’m guessing you mean coconut oil or coconut butter, which I think is fine as well. Good luck, and let us know if it works out well.

5. elizabeth says:

i have made this twice now, and it turned out perfectly both times. -once with dairy and once using coconut yogurt/butter.
      i can’t tell you what a beautiful recipe this is and how much of a hit it’s been in my house and at work. i plan to make it again already very soon. it may be my favorite cake recipe!!
      the batter is perfectly sweet, moist and tender, and the syrup from the apples soaks in to the cake just enough to give it a little added tart sweetness.
      thank you for sharing the recipe!

Yumm! I want to try that. The coconut butter sounds great. Good to know that it worked. Thanks for sharing!

7. Janet H says:

Do you use an 8 inch cake pan?

Hi Janet, I usually use two 8 inch pans, but a 9 inch would work as well (just a different size cake of course).

9. Donna Miller says:

This looks like a heavenly recipe. I am boderline diabetic & would love to have the nutritional info…particulary the carb content…or an approximate. Your web site & recipes are creative. Thank you.

Hi Donna, I wouldn’t know how to access the nutritional info so that it would be accurate, however you can probably figure it out based on the separate ingredients. I would search a website, such as this one: http://www.nutritiondata.com/.

11. Becky Garza says:

I made this cake for a coworker’s birthday. Everyone loved it!! I used brown sugar instead of the honey on the apples. I also used coconut butter instead of yogurt. DELICIOUS!!

ok, now I have to try it with coconut butter.

13. Janet H says:

So this recipe makes two 8 inch cakes?

Janet, the recipe makes one, good-size, 8 or 9 inch cake. When I use it to make a layer cake, I double the recipe.

15. Danielle says:

I just made this yesterday…YUM!Thanks for sharing!

16. Lindsey says:

So delicious! I added raisins to the apple mixture and made up a little yogurt sauce made of thinned yogurt, honey, and a sprinkle of fresh nutmeg.
      Thank you!!

17. Tracy says:

Hi Can you possibly tell me how to substitute either coconut flour or almond flour in a recipe for a cherry nut cake that I have. I have been making for years and everyone in my house loves this cake. My daughter was recently diagnosed with hashimotos and I have read that a gluten free diet will help her. I’d like to still be able to make a version of this cake for her bday. Thanks

Tracy, why don’t you post it here and I’ll take a peek at it.

19. Tam says:

Oh my gosh! This cake is so good! I want to make another one right now because I know it is going to be gone quick. I did not have yogurt so I used sour cream instead and it is so delicious! Before reading your blog (and Elana’s),I NEVER would have had the “courage” to substitute an ingredient. I love cooking with almond flour too. For the first time in my life I feel like I can actually cook. Thank you!

Tam, same here. It’s empowering to make something with your “own” ingredients and it comes out well. Power to you!

21. Jackie says:

Thank you so much for posting these recipes and adding websites to find the ingredients. My son starting the SCD three weeks ago – it’s been tough – especially with his birthday looming just a few weeks away!

22. Rebeca says:

I’ve made this twice this week using pears and spices in the batter… Delicious! thanks.

Yes – it goes great with almost any fruit – pears, peaches, apricots.

24. traci says:

I want to make this to take with me to dinner tonight to a non SCDers home but I do not have almond flour.. I have coconut flour though.. How much coconut flour would I want to use in place of the almond flour? Thank you so much!!

25. Ruth says:

Hi,

This does look wonderful. I am writing to ask about the specific cake in your photo, and bow it came to be so beautiful! It looks like you carefully arranged one layer of apples on the bottom of the pan–? Are all the apples in the recipe slice this way, which I
      guess would make a sort of apple layer cake. Or are the rest in smaller pieces?
      RSVP!

thank you for this recipe– am gearing up to try it. Just opened a new 5 lb bag of Almond Flour. I might add a few drops Almond Flavor.

Ruth

I’m never too careful, but I did make sure to cover the entire bottom of the pan with apples. They are whole slices though – complete circles. But don’t worry about being too careful.

26. amanda says:

On the bottom of the pan is that one layer of apples? Thanks, the cake looks great!

It’s probably about 1 layer with a bit of overlapping. You can do two layers if you want to though – just add a few more apples and accompanying ingredients when you pan-fry the apples. The apples are the best part!

• amanda says:

Thank you. One last question, what setting of heat should I set to cook the apples? I have to tell you,your site has been a blessing to me since going gluten free. Its very hard to be dairy and gluten free, but your recipes has made it so much easier. I thought I would have to give up all my favorite baking recipes, but you have them all. Thank you again. :)

28. amanda says:

I just made this and its amazing! I used earth balance butter in the apple mixture and coconut oil in the batter. I have to stop myself from eating it! :)

29. Fiona says:

If you think the cake needs a little less moisture do you think substituting ricotta for the yogurt work?

Thank you for your site which I have just found. I too was diagnosed with Crohns recently and am trying to convert to a GF and generally healthier diet with hopes that it will help.
      The recipes I’ve tried so far have been great.

30. Debra says:

I made this with a combination of peaches and nectarines instead of the apples. I also use coconut milk yogurt and coconut oil to make it dairy free. It turned out just as good with the peaches as it does with the apples. I had been wanting to try it with peaches and now was the perfect time! Thanks for the recipe!

31. Kristine says:

What size pan do you use?

32. Chuck says:

I made this last night for a church event. Everyone loved it. I just wondered why mine did not have a white covering over the apples like the picture shows. I used greek yogurt in the batter.