Belly Tricks

Belly tricks

When your digestive system is a bit out of whack and you want a quick fix, try some of these techniques that work for us…

Probiotics

We store our probiotics in the refrigerator, and bring them on trips. The two probiotic strains that we keep on hand are Acidophilus and Saccharomyces Boulardii capsules (I order them from GI Pro Health). One of the most effective probiotics is homemade yogurt. If you are lactose-intolerant, culture your yogurt for 24 hours.

Warm cup of lemon water

Some warm or hot water and lemon juice soothes the digestive system, and helps with bathroom issues. And a teaspoon of honey is nice too!

Mint tea

Mint tea settles and soothes your digestive system, especially your stomach. You can make it using dried mint leaves, commercially available tea bags, loose tea, or even fresh leaves. If you have fresh mint leaves, just pour hot water over the leaves and let it sit for about 5 minutes or until the desired strength is achieved. If you are allergic to mint or don’t like the taste, try chamomile tea. I’ve also heard that fresh ginger tea is quite good – scrape some fresh ginger into hot water, let it steep for a few minutes before drinking.

Enzyme Tablet

Once in a blue moon, or a little bit of an upset stomach, we have what is called a “Chewable Peppermint Enzyme” tablet. I purchase these at our local PCC Market, but you can find something similar in any health food market. The ingredients are pretty basic in ours, and all vegetarian sources: fructose, cellulose, stearic acid, natural peppermint flavor, calcium stearate, silicon dioxide, sodium copper chlorophylin, beet root fiber, and, of course, a list of enzymes, including Lipase, Protease, Amylase and some other plant enzymes.

What is so amazing about these tablets is that they work within seconds, and they are so easy to take. You can break them up easily, or just chew them and swallow with a glass of water.

Other foods that offer digestive comfort and are easy to digest:

• Chicken soup
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Yogurt smoothies
  • Steamed veggies

Posted in Tips  |  10 Comments

10 Responses to Belly Tricks

1. LucyRic says:

Thanks for the great tips.
    I never heard of the Peppermint Enzyme. Is this SCD Legal? Since you listed fructose, I don’t think so.

Lucy, I’m not sure, but my guess is you’re correct – it’s not SCD legal.

3. David says:

What about “slippery elm”?

David, I’ve never tried slippery elm.

5. Janine says:

mmm ginger tea- I love the stuff, but I have to say it makes me “go” with a bit more frequency than I’d care for, so for anyone with IBD I’d say try it first when you’re at home :)

6. jcocca says:

You can also try crystallized ginger. Just a piece or two settles any stomach spasms you may be having.

Thanks jcocca. Any good sources for crystalized ginger?

8. Jaime says:

Fennel tea is the best solution for either constipation or diarrhea or both at the same time! I also eat St. Clarie’s Pastilles. (there is fennel oil in it!) I like to eat The Licorice one. There is one for the tummy too, that has slippery elm. Also, some Mira lax isn’t a bad idea for constipation, it’s non habit forming and i use it all the time. I am also on Xifaxan- and antibiotic for the intestines. It’s keeps things normal too. It’s what they give you to prevent traveler diarrhea, but can be used for people with IBS and more.

9. N. says:

Just fyi, I have read that peppermint tea relaxes the opening between the esophagus and stomach, which can encourage acid reflux to occur, so it should be used for *certain kinds* of digestive upsets only.

This is from the Univ. of Maryland Medical Center website:
    “Peppermint calms the muscles of the stomach and improves the flow of bile, which the body uses to digest fats. As a result, food passes through the stomach more quickly.
    However, if your symptoms of indigestion are related to a condition called gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD, you should not use peppermint.
    …Do not take peppermint or drink peppermint tea if you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD — a condition where stomach acids back up into the esophagus) or hiatal hernia. Peppermint can relax the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus, allowing stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus. (The sphincter is the muscle that separates the esophagus from the stomach.) By relaxing the sphincter, peppermint may actually make the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion worse.”