Nothing more to say here than yum, if you like fries. And so simple to whip together – no peeling (unless you make squash fries). Just leave some time – about 40 minutes – for the magic to happen.
These will bake even faster in a convection oven (fan heated), but no worries. The results are the same. And my disclaimer: these are estimates because there is usually so much going on in my kitchen at 6:00 PM at night that I just fly by the seat of my pants.
Note This recipe is SCD-friendly if you make butternut squash fries.
Yummy Oven Fries
- 5 to 6 Russet potatoes, sweet potatoes, or one to two butternut squash
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (yep, we like garlic)
- kosher salt to taste (I use about a teaspoon or so)
- Cayenne or black pepper (how much heat do you want?)
- Coconut oil or other high heat oil such as Spectrum’s Sunflower oil (coat the potatoes liberally; they should be almost dripping oil)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash, dry, and slice the potatoes into thin wedges. If you are using butternut squash, you will have to do some peeling – look here for the technique.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Spread out the potatoes on a stick-free surface (parchment paper or silpat) on top of a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes or so.