Macaroons: Lemon, Vanilla, and Chocolate Kissed

Macaroons dipped in chocolate

I love macaroons for so many reasons – apart from the fact that it is a treat and is so easy to bake. I’m willing to try anything containing coconut after reading about its health benefits.

Macaroons

Coconut is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, and is well known for it’s medicinal qualities, including being anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial. Another surprise for this recipe is that it is naturally gluten-free – yes, you do not need traditional flour to perfect the macaroon.

There are a few things I add to macaroons that are entirely optional: lemon zest and almond extract. I find that lemon zest brings out more flavor, and the almond extract gives the macaroon a hint of an old-style bakery cookie flavor – but completely up to you, of course. You can easily go with coconut flakes, egg whites, vanilla, and some salt and be quite happy with the results.

These may not completely replace the chocolate-covered macaroons that you can find at Zabar’s and Fairway in New York City. But, to get close to that taste I have one final step. When they’re done baking and cooling, I dip almost the entire batch of macaroons in melted dark chocolate. (Sorry to all those SCDers out there – chocolate is not “legal”, so this is the only part of the recipe that you want to just plain ignore and make believe it doesn’t exist – sorry!).

And, as for the left-over egg yolks, they can be used to make lemon curd (see the very end of this post for the recipe).

Posted in Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  18 Comments

18 Responses to Macaroons: Lemon, Vanilla, and Chocolate Kissed

1. I just posted about macaroons as well! yours look so decadent with all that chocolate on top! fabulous. I’ll have to dip mine in Chocolate too!

Thanks, Zoe!
    I can’t wait to make your recipe for chocolate, caramel-covered matzo – that’s the bomb for passover as far as I’m concerned.

3. Danielle says:

I just started the SCD diet about 2 months ago and am desperately missing chocolate… How are these SCD legal?

Hi Danielle!
    These macaroons are SCD legal without the chocolate. Everything else is good to go.
    Sorry – I don’t always follow SCD, but most of the time I do. I use chocolate in some of my recipes, but most of the time the chocolate can be removed or subsituted.

5. Danielle says:

Darn – I was hoping you had found a SCD chocolate :( Oh well, only 2 more years without it!

6. nj says:

Just a note about coconut.
    If you are just starting out on scd be very careful with coconut as it has too much fiber and you may have problems.
    I just found your web site and am so happy.
    You do great things.
    Thank you.

7. Carmen says:

Is the Let’s Do Organic Unsweetend Coconut Flakes brand SCD legal?

Carmen – it’s just dehydrated coconut – no other ingredients, so it should be SCD legal.

Just want to point out that I use shredded coconut for this recipe: http://astore.amazon.com/comfybelly-20/detail/B000F4D5GC

10. Kathy M says:

I made these today and my whole family loved them. Thanks for the recipe

11. Michelle says:

Looking forward to trying for Passover! Thanks. What is great is that most of your recipes are kosher for Passover since a new box of baking soda and almond flour are permitted. (:

12. Amy says:

Can’t wait to try the macaroons. Was also looking at the lemon curd, but we are dairy free. Could Earth Balance or coconut oil be subbed for the butter?

Thanks.

13. Rebecca says:

How do you fold the honey in without deflating the egg whites? I tried this today and it deflated and the honey sort of pooled on the bottom of the bowl so I had to stir it with each spoonful as I was putting them on the cookie sheet. Then when it baked it pooled some more so there was a honey ring around most of the cookies. It wasn’t just honey, though, b/c when I tasted it it was kind of spongy. Good recipe, but it didn’t quite work for me. Tips, please!

Sorry this wasn’t clear! I changed the wording a bit. Hopefully it clarified the process. Blending the other ingredients in is really more like what you’re doing so I took out the word “folding” because you’re doing more than folding. So you can blend well.

14. Julie says:

These look lovely, please can you clarify 1 tablespoon of vanilla?
    extract? A tbs seems a lot. Thanks