Basic Biscotti

Biscotti, melon, and cream

Biscotti go great with a cup of tea, coffee, a glass of juice, or dunked in just about anything. This recipe uses almond flour, but the technique is the same as most biscotti recipes – bake, slice, and then bake again until crispy. If you like them softer and a bit more cake-like, don’t bake them as long during the second time around in the oven.

I split the dough in half, and place dried fruit and nuts in one half and then white chocolate chips in the other half. They are tasty plain as well, if you prefer. If you add lots of stuff to your biscotti, press it together firmly when shaping it to fill in any air pockets and reduce the possibility of the biscotti breaking.

Posted in Breakfast, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  21 Comments

21 Responses to Basic Biscotti

1. Dani Weiss says:

I made these biscotti but could not get them to harden as much as true biscotti. I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of substituting xylitol for honey. Could that be the reason? Seems like a few days out they are finally loosing their moisture and hardening up. But.. they are almost all gone now. Great flavor!

Hi Dani,
    To get them “crunchier” try leaving them in the oven on a low temperature (the last step) for more than 15 minutes – up to 1/2 hour or more if necessary. Then cool outside for a few hours.
    I’m not sure about the xylitol since I’ve never used it. Honey would probably add more moisture than most sweeteners since it is one of the “wettist” sweeteners, so I kind of doubt it’s the xylitol.

3. Ann says:

I just made these and they were actually burnt and raw. I checked the ingredients and I added everything correctly. I put the biscotti in for 20 minutes the first time and it was raw, so i put it back in for 5 minutes and they turned black, they are still raw, and i’m probably gunna have to throw them away, help?! Do you know what i did wrong?

Hi Ann. I’ve never had a problem with these, but I haven’t made them in a while. I wonder if you’re oven is too hot – a lower temperature for the initial baking would reduce the burning – to about 300 degrees F. Not sure why they’re raw – or taste raw. Mine always taste like cookies, but can be soft, so I tend to leave them in a low-temperature oven for a while longer (so maybe go to a lower temperature with this step as well – to 225 degrees F). You can try it with almond meal if you don’t want to waste anymore almond flour. Sorry about that!!

• Philip'e says:

You may have had your biscotti loaf too big or too high. They should be kinda flat, it should not be like a loaf of bread, they should be no higher than 2 inches high.

4. Angela says:

I made these today and they are awesome! Thanks so much for your blog, I love the variety of recipes and your shared experience. I added 2 cups total of unsweetened cranberries, dark chocolate chips and sunflower seeds. And I substituted Agave for the honey. They are really great and its good to have a basic to add to. Thanks again! Look forward to your next post.

5. lunaD'scorpio says:

this sounds great for making a gluten free tiramisu…..

6. Yvonne Satow says:

I made up this mixture but the result is too wet to form into anything! Measurments were correct.

7. Erica, I’m glad I saw your comment about using almond meal instead of almond flour. I didn’t know there was a difference. What I have is almond meal that I bought at the store– will it work in this recipe?

It probably will work but the taste and consistency will not be as good. I recommend blanched almond flour for most baked goods. sorry!

8. Karen says:

Thanks for the recipe — I’ll definitely be making these again, but trying a different almond flour. I used the Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour and found I needed to add alot more to get them to the thick enough consistency to bake – and the baking did take longer too, both the initial bake and the second.

I hadn’t heard that about Bob’s. Interesting that it was less dense – but it could be because the grains are larger. I do hear that it can be grainier in texture so I tell folks to grind it up a bit more in a food processor.

9. Jen Becker says:

Thanks for the amazing recipe! I was looking for something like an anise cookie with almond flour and this was perfect. I made only a half recipe and substituted half of the almond extract with anise extract. Used anise seeds but no fruit or nuts. It was too soft to form into a ball so I added another 1/2 to 3/4 c more almond flour and was able to use a spatula to make two logs on parchment paper. To make them very crisp I baked at 275 for half hour then turned it down to 200 for another hour. They are delicious and have a crispy texture which is not hard…even a little airy.

Nice! I’m actually going to revisit my biscotti recipes (on my list of to-dos). Love that you added more almond flour instinctively. Good move. Best, Erica

10. Darlene says:

I just made these yesterday. These were really good. I also had a hard time getting these crispy.
    I initially had to use more almond meal and then cooked them longer on the second time in the oven.
    After reading all the other comments I think I will be using almond flour and making my logs smaller. Lowering the oven temp to 325 and then 200.
    We ate all from the first batch and can’t wait to try another
    Thanks for all the recipes

11. jen says:

Just made these. They taste great but they flattened out a lot in the oven on the first bake. I am always wary of baking with only almond flour as the results tend to be too flaky/crumbly. I added a bit of oat flour to soak up some moisture, but it didnt help as much as I had hoped. Thye didnt stay together well after the cut and turn before the second baking. We bake biscotti and mandelbrot a lot and I love the flavor but not the texture. I have them in the oven on 200 degrees hoping ot dry them out a bit more. Hopefully they will harden up. I would love a basic biscotti recipe 2.0!

The oat flour is probably not helping the batter stay together, but I know what you’re getting at. Yes, this recipe needs a revisit, but for now, if you’re going to add flour additions, I would add more honey or egg.

12. Gillian says:

After a very odd baking session, these cookies are wonderful!! My “loaves” flattened out like a bar cookie, filling an entire jelly roll pan with cookie. So I just kept cooking them for the full 20 minutes, then sliced the 3/4 inch thick jelly pan size bar loaf into strips on the diagonal about 4 inches long. I baked them an additional 30 minutes on the lower temp and then let them sit for 30 more minutes in the over after I turned it off. I cut each bar in half so I have little diamond shaped cookies.. GREAT flavor, AND they are CRISPY!!!! Even the non-celiacs in the family love them!