Caramelized Onion, Tomato, Goat Cheese Tart

Caramelized Onion, Tomato, Goat Cheese Tart

Caramelized onions go great on salads, in tarts, on pizza, crackers, casseroles, and just about anything else. They’re very easy to make, and so is this savory tart. I finally broke in my larger, circular tart pan and came up with a pastry shell using almond flour and Parmesan cheese.

Tomatoes and thyme in garden

Tomatoes are overflowing on farmers’ market tables. There are so many varieties I can’t decide which type to purchase, so I buy an assortment of colors and shapes - mostly the cherry and slicing types. But I don’t buy too many because I also have my first crop this summer! They are beautiful, and have survived an early encounter with a deer that trimmed a few stalks and stems. The Seattle area’s hot summer has certainly aided my first attempt at growing edibles.

Slice of tart

Posted in Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  8 Comments

8 Responses to Caramelized Onion, Tomato, Goat Cheese Tart

1. Karen says:

Beautiful pictures!!

2. Stacie K says:

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try making crust with almond flour.

3. Beth says:

Not sure where to get my hands on almond flour. Could I use regular flour?

Thanks for the kudos.
    Beth, I’m not sure, but it just might work with regular flour. Usually a lot of butter is used with the flour, but the Parmesan cheese has a lot of fat and protein in it to hold it all together. Let me know if you try it!

5. Christine says:

This looks delish!
    Can the parmesan cheese be substituted with anything else?

Yes, Christine, you can use a different hard cheese, or a softer cheese, which will produce a softer crust. I haven’t come up with something yet that is not cheese, unless you just use a regular crust. The crust I recently made with the chicken pot pie (here: http://www.comfybelly.com/2009/09/chicken-pot-pie.html) would work, and will become crunchy when baked for a while on a low temperature.

7. Christine says:

Great! Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to try making this sometime soon :)