Deep Dish Pizza

Deep Dish Pizza

I have memories of eating deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Uno’s Pizza on the Upper West Side (of NYC), where I lived for several years. Since it was on my way home while walking up Columbus Avenue, and a few blocks from the Museum of Natural History, it was an easy place to duck into for a meal.

I was a busy, young professional, so deep dish pizza was a good, hot meal for me (that’s when I ate an Entenmann’s cake as a quick bite on the run). If you search Uno’s on Yelp, the current reviews are not what I remember – funny thing about that.

Unfortunately, I’ve had several deep dish pizza fails, and this recipe is just ok – but I thought I’d publish it anyway because I like anything baked with lots of cheese and tomatoes, even without a crust (chicken Parmesan comes to mind).

This version of deep dish pizza uses an almond flour tart crust, and I encourage you to set your expectations low (soggy crust), choose a different crust recipe, or go crust-less and add more toppings. You can use any crust you like, and if you don’t have a fluted tart pan, just use a pie dish or other baking dish.

All toppings are optional, but the possibilities are endless. Pineapple, chicken, sausage, peppers, onions, or anything you can think of.

Note Here’s a link to thin crust pizza.

Posted in Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  13 Comments

13 Responses to Deep Dish Pizza

1. Tracee says:

Yumm, this looks great!

2. Tracey says:

I made this tonight and it came out great. I set my expectations low, as you suggested, but I was pleasantly surprised!
    I used the 3 slices of Havarti baked on the top of the crust to make the “seal”, and I also let the cheese re-harden fully before putting the tomatoes on. I used a 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes, drained. I then wrapped them up in several layers of thick paper towels and let them drain further for about an hour to get all the excess liquid out. I also let the pizza sit for about 40 minutes before slicing. I had no problems with a soggy crust at all. And the almond flour gave the pizza a really nice flavor.
    Also, I baked mine for about 20 minutes for the cheese to brown.
    Delicious!

Tracey, I’ll be following your instructions from now on :)

4. Tracey says:

Erica:
    I keep thinking about how delicious this pizza was and want to make it again! The only thing is, I’m trying to watch my fat and calorie intake and almond flour has a lot of both.
    Do you have any suggestions for a lower-fat alternative that could be used for this recipe?
    Thanks!
    Tracey

Tracey, I guess the cheese has a lot of fat, so you could reduce the amount or go for a low-fat cheese. Also reducing the amount of oil would help.

6. Tracey says:

Thanks Erica. Is there anything that could substitute for the almond flour?

Tracey, I’m going to experiment with buckwheat flour soon, but if you’re on SCD, I’d say try another nut flour.

8. Kim says:

can I add pizza sauce to this instead of the tomatoes? My husband doesn’t like tomatoes. I didn’t know if it would make the crust too soft? Thanks!

Hi Kim. I would avoid using sauce, unless it is condensed. It’s going to make the crust very soggy. Instead, I would try tomato paste, or pureed tomatoes. The less moisture, the better.

10. Michelle says:

I am so impressed with you guys!! I can’t wait to try some of these recipes! I have some possible solutions to the above problems to offer:
    Trader Joe’s makes a product called Pizza sauce that is great and pretty condensed. Also, for Tracey, check out Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Wraps as a lower fat alternative for crust. I use them, build the pizza in a frying pan, cover and cook on med-low just until the cheese melts! I hope that helps! It’s not as much protein as Almond meal, but lower fat for sure.

11. m says:

When I make my pizza sauce I use a base of tomato paste, not sauce. I do add a little liquid, but try to keep it pretty thick. It keeps the crust from getting soggy.

12. Mary Ann says:

I have a suggestion – bake each seperately. Crust no topping on one dish, then on a very well greased piece of parchment layout your pre heated tomatoes/sauce top with cheese put under broiler. When just right , using a spatula slide tom/cheese on to the crust. I have done this with other recipes and it works. I will look forward to trying your recipe!
    Mary Ann

Mary Ann, great idea – thanks! Piece it together – kind of like how I make pies to keep the pie crust from getting burnt and soggy.