Anti-inflammatory Seasoning

Anti-inflammatory Spices

Happy New Year! I just bought a bunch of herbs and spices (on sale). I try to use at least one or two of these in cooked and baked food. My resolution this year is to use these a lot more, and work my recipes around anti-inflammatory foods and seasonings.

Ginger I add fresh cut cubes of ginger (skin removed) to any stir-fry, and dry, powdered ginger to anything, including pies, cookies, and cake.

Turmeric This spice imparts an orange tint to just about anything, but that’s ok with me because it has strong anti-inflammatory properties. I add it to stir-fries, grilled meats, and curries.

Curry Great in seasoning salads, poultry, stews, and vegetable soups.

Chili Pepper Fresh or dried (ground or not), or any kind of pepper is great for flavoring salsas, stir-fries, meats, vegetables, stews, and chili.

Cinnamon Dried and ground is how I use it. All kinds of baked goods, and poultry seasoning. A small amount of cardamom compliments this seasoning as well.

Rosemary I use this often for seasoning roasted and grilled meats, potatoes, crackers, and savory baked food.

Basil, Oregano, Mint, Dill These greens are great for sauces, both creamy and tomato-based. They make great pestos and seasonings on fish and poultry as well. And dill and mint go great in salads.

Chives, Cilantro, Parsley More greens that are great for salsas, vegetables, salads, stir-fries, stews, grilled meats

Garlic Need I say more. This potent seasoning works well with sauces, grilled and roasted meats, salsas, soup, stews, and stir-fries. I sprinkle dried garlic and kosher (or sea) salt on just about anything I grill.

Tip I use this website to find out the anti-inflammatory properties of foods that I’m eating or combining.

Posted in Tips, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  11 Comments

11 Responses to Anti-inflammatory Seasoning

1. Tracee says:

I love this post! I always add a little tumeric to my crock pot when making chicken broth. It gives it a lovely golden color, but don’t add too much or you can taste it.

I’m not quite sure what tumeric tastes like – it doesn’t seem to have a distintive flavor, but what the heck.

3. littlem says:

Cayenne is another one.

Yes! Cayenne – I add a pinch of it to a lot of dishes – especially salty dishes. A little bit of it with kosher or sea salt is a great all-around seasoning. Another I left out that I like to use is paprika (sweet or smoked), which is a mild form of cayenne. Thanks!

5. Kristy A. says:

Cinnamon is my go-to breakfast spice–I have it every day on apples and berries! I try to incorporate anti-inflammatory spices and foods into my diet too. I would be careful of using regular cassia-derived cinnamon, though. I found out it was toxic and banned in Germany! Ceylon cinnamon is true cinnamon and delicious. It has a subtle, citrus-cinnamon flavor and is less burn-your-mouth cinnamony. I lost my taste for the imitation cinnamons. Please read more about Ceylon cinnamon here:

6. Jeanne Ellis says:

Can I assume that the Cherry Scone recipe is also Gluten Free being that almond flour is used? I have a B&B and am always looking for Gluten Free pastry type ideas.

Jeanne, yes! Gluten-free they are. Cool!

8. NJ says:

I’ve been on the scd for 2 years and am just starting to heal. What I really miss is noodles. I just found your site today and am thrilled by your recipes. You are a master.
    Have you done any experimenting with noodles made of nut flours? If so you would be my savior. Thanks again for your site. It is marvelous.

NJ, that’s great to hear! Yeah, the noodle thing is a tough one. I haven’t tried to make nut noodles, but it may be possible. It would probably need eggs to hold it together though, otherwise when a noodle hits water/moisture it will fall apart. Let us know if you try it!

10. Molly says:

Hello.

This seems like a silly question, but I wonder if you’d be willing to tell me more about the site you link to… how do I find out whether a food is anti-inflammatory or not?

I just found your blog and I’m enjoying it immensely! My husband has a lot of health issues and we are contemplating trying the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Other methods have not worked for him, so it’s worth a try! We’re just trying to get educated and inspired!

Thanks so much,

Molly

There’s a rating for the level of inflammation a food creates in the body. I imagine it’s fairly accurate. But your mileage probably varies depending on your body. That’s all I know :)