Chocolate Donuts & Cupcakes

Chocolate cupcake

My family loves donuts, but basically I refuse to buy them. Hence this recipe for chocolate donuts and cupcakes.

I have used buckwheat flour and almond flour for this recipe, and both work well. And I’ve had successful outcomes with these flour ratios:

• 1 cup of buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup of almond flour
  • 1/2 cup of almond and buckwheat flour
  • 1/3 cup of almond flour and 2/3 cup of buckwheat flour

The 100% buckwheat flour recipe yields a firmer, slightly drier, cakier donut and cupcake. The 100% almond flour recipe is moister, and the other ratios are somewhere in between. My favorite is 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 buckwheat flour – the perfect balance of firm and moist.

I’m waiting for my Amazon order for regular-size donut pans, so I plan to report back on how the larger-sized pans work out. Stay tuned…

Dipped buckwheat donuts

Notes The sprinkles in the picture are gluten free, from the Let’s Do brand. And the donuts and cupcakes are dipped in melted chocolate. If you don’t eat chocolate, here are recipes for vanilla donuts, fluffy cupcakes, and shortbread (vanilla) cupcakes.

Warning about the donut pans Now that I’ve used the donut pans from Amazon for a while, I’ve found that the non-stick surface becomes a bit sticky. I’ve had to grease the pan before adding the batter, and I also have to take great care in taking the donuts out when they’re done. I use a healthy amount of Spectrum Shortening to grease the pan.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  23 Comments

23 Responses to Chocolate Donuts & Cupcakes

1. Ann says:

I am currently on a diet where i’m not suppose to be eating chocolate, do you think you could make this into a vanilla donut? or a different flavor? maybe just by compeletly leaving out the cocoa powder?

Hi Ann. I added links to my vanilla donuts and vanilla cupcake recipes. Thanks for reminding me!

3. Janice says:

These look delicious! I have been using almond flour for cookies and cakes and love it. I will have to try these for the kids (and maybe one for me).

4. Ajay says:

I thought buckwheat flour is not legal for SCD, and that only nut and coconut flours are recommended. Also, was told to keep cacao out of the diet. But these look great.

5. Shauna says:

I just want to say that I absolutely ADORE your website! It is very nicely set up, looks lovely & chic, and the recipes are very nicely put together. Living a gluten free lifestyle, can at times, be challenging and limiting to say the least; your website has really inspired me to keep it up though. Please continue the great work!

6. Katrina says:

Wow! I love donuts, but there is NO way I’m eating processed, sugar-filled store bought ones. :) I’ll definitely make these, though!!

7. Heather says:

In the recipe, you call for 4 T of butter OR 1/4 oil. Is that 1 TBS or 1/4 cup of oil?
    Thanks,
    Heather

Heather – thanks for catching that! Yes, 1/4 cup of oil.

9. OMG! Those look just like the doughnuts I grew up eating! I haven’t had anything that looks like that in decades! I can’t wait to try your recipe!

10. The recipe link for the vanilla doughnuts doesn’t bring up any recipe. Can you repost it? Which pans do you like best? 6 or 12 hold doughnut pans?

11. Tanya says:

How I loved these….I am on an anti fungal diet and got so weary of all the meat and low carbs….but this gives me the protein and a treat! This morning was a joy when I got to sample this gift!!! I used agave nector 1/2 cup. I will try stevia next time!:O) to cut the carb count even lower. THANK YOU!!!!

12. Tanya says:

I am going to give my leftover meal from making almond milk another go in this recipe just to see if it works…I have to find a way to use that stuff! he he!

13. Alexis says:

I don’t know why these didn’t turn out for me:( the flavor and texture of the 1/2 and 1/2 flours was great but they sunk. Maybe because I live at high altitude?

14. Sage says:

What do you think about using the electric mini-donut makers for these? I’m thinking of buying one for my daughter for Christmas…

15. natlee says:

OMG I just made these and ate two once cooled. They are so moist and no one would ever guess they are not made with wheat. I did not have the whole cup of honey so I did 1/2 honey and 1/2 maple syrup and it was amazing!! I also added two tbsp of cocoa nibs. Just decided to before I scooped them into the muffin tins. I will make these again for sure and even into a cake!!! Mine did sink a bit in them middle but not that much. The top middle was very soft-chocolatey like I had injected a bit of melted chococate int it….yum

16. natlee says:

Just made these again but substituted applesauce for the butter (or oil). THEY WERE STILL AMAZING!!! I found that I just had to bake them a bit longer (3-5 mins). These are sooooo moist. I ate 3 in a jiffy.

17. Amy says:

Could you substitute the cocoa powder for carob powder?

18. Christine says:

I am so glad I found your website,just made your almond butter raisin cookies and we loved them!
    Am trying to go gluten free and eat as much organic as possible,your detail on the different flours and how to use them is a big help. Will share this with my friends, Thank You.