Caramel Apples

Caramel apples

If you haven’t tried making caramel sauce yet, here is another opportunity to do so. With the abundance of apples, and so many kinds, and it being a Halloween weekend, I thought I’d add a quick post about caramel apples, with an added touch of roasted nuts for a bit more decadence.

For the caramel sauce, you have the option of making it with heavy cream, or try coconut or almond milk. I’ve also made it with regular cow’s milk. When you use the lighter milks, the caramel doesn’t get as thick as when using heavy cream. You’re choice.

caramel apple slices

If you don’t like eating apples on a stick, you can cut each apple into slices, and then dip the skin side of each slice in the caramel sauce, then in the nuts (or other fun stuff, like chocolate and sprinkles), and then place on parchment paper and cover until you’re ready to eat them.

Dipping apple in caramel

Posted in Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Wheat-Free  |  8 Comments

8 Responses to Caramel Apples

1. Jennifer says:

What a great Fall treat! And this sounds like a fun one to make with my son, combining his two favorites: apples and sugar :)

2. Michelle says:

Can’t wait to try this. Our family loves your recipes!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity.

3. Michelle says:

Could this be poured on popcorn to make carmel popcorn? I am trying to find a carmel popcorn recipe that does not use sugar?

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while, but haven’t yet. The closest recipe I would probably follow is this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caramel-Popcorn/Detail.aspx. Here’s my idea (but I haven’t tried it yet): You’ll want to boil the caramel for a while to get it close to burning so that it when it cools it is firm. Then mix it in with the popcorn (and any nuts or other stuff) and spread it out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes. If you try it, let us know.

• michelle says:

I didn’t want to use sugar due to a sugar sensitivity in our house, so I found this recipe on internet and tried….delicious!! I had to buy a candy thermometer but a local grocery store had it so that was easy. 1 cup organic maple syrup, 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup un popped popcorn (popped makes several cups) First pop popcorn in coconut oil or other preferred oil, add celtic sea salt if desired and set aside in ceramic or glass bowl. Next in heavy saucepan put the maple syrup and butter and heat to 260 degrees ( will take a few minutes), add vanilla (I added it at beginning and didn’t see a difference). Pour over popcorn and try and shape popcorn balls or just keep as carmel popcorn. Can add nuts or carob/chocolate chips if desired. Need to add and mix syrup quickly with popcorn before it gets hard. I think these would make great chanukah/xmas gifts wrapped in pretty saran wrap and a bow…don’t think this batch will make it to the end of the day.

4. Marie says:

i just made these for daughter. She has a milk allergy so I used vanilla almond milk. I also ran out of honey so I used 3/4 cup honey and about 2 1/2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar. It took a while to thicken up but came out very good. Thank you for this fantastic recipe!