Hamantashen for Purim

Hamantashen

Purim is a Jewish holiday that in my mind has always been one big crazy party with the exchange of food at the core. So it’s only fitting that I share a recipe for Hamantashen, the triangular pastries in the shape of ears, or hats, depending on whether you originate from Sephardim or Ashekenazim Jewish ancestry. Either way, they’re great to make and share, and they happen to taste great when baked with almond flour.

Hamantashen baked and cooling

Purim is based on the biblical story of Esther, from the Book of Esther. Esther is a Jewish woman who happens to be married to the Persian King. With the help of the evil Haman, an officer to the Persian King, the king declares that all Jews should be killed; quite ironic considering the king’s wife is Jewish (but he doesn’t know that). The short of the story is that Haman ends up being hanged and the Jews are saved from destruction.

Traditional hamantashen is filled with dried fruit and poppy seeds, with the seeds representing Queen Esther’s three day fast in order to repeal the decree for all Jews to be killed. Hence, poppy seeds are used in all kinds of cakes and pastries during Purim.

So, it’s up to you. Jam, poppy seed filling, cheese filling, or just about any of your favorite fillings will work in this pastry. (You’ll notice I didn’t mention chocolate, but it’s implied)

Hamantashen

Here is one of my favorite musical groups for a modern twist on this holiday, the Maccabeats, singing their Purim song. And here’s another great rendition from the Fountainheads. Finally, a great little story about a bakery in Tel Aviv.

Note I haven’t tried this recipe yet with other oils or butters. Also, this is more of a pastry than a cookie. I’m going to do another round with about half the amount of butter to see if it becomes more of a cookie, but for now – think soft, buttery, sweet pastry.

Roll of dough

pastry on baking sheet

Posted in Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  12 Comments

12 Responses to Hamantashen for Purim

1. Luana says:

Oh how beautiful! So they’re kind of like a short pastry. I had no idea almond flour could be adapted to that kind of recipe. I have some things that I would love to try, and would like to try this, too. Thanks for posting this!

Thanks. They’ve been going fast around here, so they must be good. Yes, you can use this recipe in a lot of ways. Have fun and let me know if you come up with any thing to share :)

2. Claire Patty says:

Your blog is one of my favorites to read!! It’s so clean, simple and beautiful. And the recipes are always so great. Please post more often…I love checking your blog! :) Have a wonderful spring-y day.
    -Claire

3. Pingback: I’ll Definitely Be Making These Again! « Jen's Blog

4. Jessica Benson says:

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them… Have you manage to adapt a recipe for rugelach to be gluten free? I’m thinking that given the success of this pastry with almond flour I might be able to do a straight substitution for it in a traditional recipe?

5. Basia Lindberg says:

These look amazing and I am trying to make these right now … How thick do you cut the circles? and how “fat” do you make the dough roll?

I haven’t made this in a while, but between 1 1/2 and 2 inches in diameter should be good enought to fold. You can press them to spread if they’re a bit too small.

6. Elena says:

Just made those and they are SO delicious! I already want to make some more! Thank you for this recipe!