Homemade Ketchup

Ketchup bottle

When we began to change our diet a few years ago, most commercial ketchup brands had corn syrup in it. Some still do, but even so, if you’re avoiding processed sugars, making your own ketchup ensures that you won’t be eating anything but wholesome sweeteners and ingredients. And why not make a good thing more wholesome?

I originally posted this recipe a few years ago, when it was really hard to find ketchup that didn’t have corn syrup or cane sugar in it. I’m finding it’s still not that easy to buy ketchup made without cane sugar.

This is one of my favorite brands of ketchup that is made without cane sugar (the brand changed it’s ingredients), although they no longer make the fruit-sweetened version of their ketchup which is what I coveted most. I guess I could buy the unsweetened and then add sweetener if necessary.

And this is on my list of ketchup recipes to try.

Here’s my original recipe posted way back in 2009:

Here’s a recipe I like when I have the time to make it. It was inspired by Epicurious’s recipe.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, Sauces & Dressings, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  14 Comments

14 Responses to Homemade Ketchup

1. christine says:

How long does this keep?
      I would make more of my own sauces and relishes if they kept longer. I think my ketchup bottle has been in the fridge well over a year and chutneys equally long.

2. EricaKerwien says:

We haven’t had leftovers around that long because I make it in small batches, but I do store it in the refrigerator. My tomato-based sauces don’t keep more than a week or so, hmmm. Sounds like I need to test it’s viability as a science experiment!

3. EricaKerwien says:

Of course, you can always freeze the ketchup.

4. Seth says:

What about onion, garlic, the good stuff?

Seth, this recipe was concocted when my son was very ill and I tried to keep things real simple. These days, I am buying ketchup (the brand I reference at the end of the post).
      But, go crazy, add anything you like. I did make it once with onions and it came out great – I pureed it after cooking it for about 15 minutes to blend the onions well into the ketcup (for a smoother texture).

6. Amanda says:

We are interested in making this with tomatoes from our garden, do you have a recipe for maybe homemade tomato paste?

Amanda – Other than cooking tomato sauce for a longer time (with the lid off) to get rid of the moisture and concentrate the tomato sauce, I don’t have other ideas. Here’s a nice link on how to can your own tomato paste.
      I think roasting the tomatoes for a while and then blending them up would make great tomato paste. On my list of things to try.

8. RB says:

You could always culture/ferment your Ketchup recipe and once refrigerated will last 6 months or more. Plus it’s good for your digestion! There are a few recipes around that you could apply to this one.

9. Hazel says:

I checked out your favorite ketchup made without cane sugar. I’ve read “maltodextrin” on labels so decided to check; its glycemic index is higher than table sugar, or so this link says:

Just sayin… people requiring low carbs, check before choosing.