Salted Pecan Sandies

Pecan sandies closeup cookie

Update 12/15/13: This cookie is crunchier when it’s baked until it browns quite a bit on the edges and bottom. I’m working on another version.

Pecan Sandies raw doughSheet of pecan sandies baked

This cookie loses it’s crunchiness over the course of a few days when sitting out in the open air, especially if it’s humid outside. This is primarily because honey is hydroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture in the air. So it helps to store the cookies in a dry place after they are fully cooled. To get the crunch back, you can put them in a dehydrator for 30 minutes on a low temperature, or place them in the oven for 10 minutes on a low temperature (below 200°F).

Note that I’ve used this recipe with both blanched almond flour and almond meal, and both work well. I happen to prefer the almond flour because it doesn’t have the almond skin pieces in each cookie.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  24 Comments

24 Responses to Salted Pecan Sandies

1. Leslie says:

Aw man… I cannot WAIT to make these!!

2. Vicky says:

These look fantastic and I love the information about honey and keeping SCD baked goods …but fear not, if I made these lovelies for my family I doubt there would be any left to store!

Thank you for the recipe!

3. These look REALLY delicious – I love cookies made from ground nuts!I have a friend who is allergic to eggs… so would love to make these for her (if I can keep from eating them all myself!) Thanks so much!

4. Sandy says:

Any recipes you post are always good and welcome!The olive oil and lemon sweet bread sounds good. Looking forward to that in the future. Also one can never have too many cauliflower reipes as it is so versatile.

5. Ronnda Stapleton says:

Hi! Do you think stevia could be used instead of the honey?
      Thanks! =)

• Sunshine says:

Honey lends considerable moistness to baked goods… So you would really have to research & test thoroughly to make it comparable… maybe chia gel mixed w/stevia would work well.

6. Pingback: Intuitive Paleo Day 10: Fullness Factor: 7.5 (featuring healthy pecan sandies) « bridgesfoodventures

7. Karen says:

Wondering if you have any tips on making these with coconut flour instead of almond flour – how do I substitute it? Thank you -

8. Anne Feld Lowell says:

Wow! just made these, and the batter is amazing. I ate 1/2 cup of it while waiting for the sandies to finish baking.

9. Pingback: Meal Plan for Week 3….. (dairy, flour, refined sugar, and processed food free) | Fresh Idea Mama

10. Colleen says:

Just made these and they are AMAZING! I substituted pure maple syrup for the honey and left out the vanilla (due to allergies). My husband is raving, and I’m grabbing my third cookie. =) Thank you so much!

11. Brigitte says:

Just made these – kid approved, and delish! I’m just learning to bake with almond flour and these were REALLY good. I used maple syrup for sweetener because I didn’t have honey, and the subtle maple flavor was delish, too!

12. Bonnie Kearns says:

These are delicious! I used coconut oil, decreased the honey to 3 tbls, added about 8 drops of liquid stevia and increased the vanilla to 3 tsp. I will make these often. Thank you for your wonderful website

13. Pingback: Recipe Review: Comfy Belly’s Salted Pecan Sandies | lunar milk

14. Pingback: Salted Pecan Sandies | Specific Health

15. Andra says:

Delish! I toasted the pecans and added Maldon sea salt flakes to the top. Soooo good. My GF husband is thrilled!

16. Bridgette says:

These are to die for. I can buy pecan meal in my area on the cheap, so I replace half of the almond flour with that when I make them. I also add chunks of dark chocolate when I’m in a chocolate mood. So tasty!

17. Jackie says:

I made the recipe, but the cookies did not come out crispy. Just wondering what I might have done wrong?

Thanks!

Hi Jackie. I’m actually in the process of testing a new version of this recipe to offer a crunchy version. This original version does not get that crunchy. Stay tuned.

18. Pingback: Whole & Healthy Pecan Sandies | Sugar Cookies & Lip Gloss