I’m a saladophile (yes, I just made up this word and it doesn’t sound quite right either). I tend to get hooked on a particular salad for a week or so, until I move on to the next one. This week it’s been cobb salad.
I had all the main ingredients and I figured it was time. It’s one of those salads that is a meal, which makes life easy. I must also mention that it was freakishly warm in the Seattle area the past two weeks making it perfect salad-as-a-meal weather.
Here’s my favorite mix of this American tradition, and of course feel free to improvise with cucumbers, olives, blue cheese or other good stuff.
Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
Grilled ChickenYou can also cook the chicken breasts in a skillet.
- 1 pound/453 g chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons high heat oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and pressed or finely minced
- Combine the chicken strips and the remaining ingredients in a non-reactive bowl or other container and marinate for at least 30 minutes if possible. It can be marinated overnight as well.
- Warm up your grill to about 450°F/230°C. Grill one side of the chicken strips for about 5 minutes or so and then flip to the other side for another 5 minutes, or until the strips are just cooked and tender.
Cobb SaladHard-boiled egg directions: Bring a pot of water to a steady boil. Add enough water so the eggs are covered in water. Using a spoon, gently place each egg in the pot to avoid cracking the shell. Boil for 15 minutes, then immediately cool the eggs in cold water. Refrigerate for a week or so.
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 avocado, skinned, pitted and diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and diced
- 1 pound of grilled chicken, cooked and diced
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded or chopped
Layer the ingredients in a salad bowl or on serving platter. Can be covered and refrigerated for a day or so.
Italian Herb VinaigretteI sometimes prefer this honey mustard vinaigrette with this salad, or choose your favorite dressing.
- 1/3 cup/2 oz/60 ml red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup/6 oz/177 ml olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and pressed or finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano and basil, finely chopped (optional)
- drizzle of honey (optional)
Place all the ingredients in a jar with a cap. Cover and shake until blended.