I bet you already know about kale chips, kale pesto, and sautéed kale. But have you tried grilled kale? A quick on and off the grill and it’s done. Highly recommended.
It’s quite simple to throw a bunch of trimmed greens, asparagus, and green beans on the grill right after you’ve finished grilling other stuff.
In fact, I recommend grilling an assortment of greens, plus some red pepper, mushrooms, and red onions. Just coat them with some oil, sea salt, and crushed garlic (or garlic powder), and place on a medium hot grill. Kale doesn’t take more than a minute on each side to grill, but other greens, like green onions and green beans will take a few minutes on each side.
I eat around the kale stem because it’s still very firm, but you can chop the kale up, or even chop all the grilled greens up and create a salad. A honey mustard vinaigrette dressing goes great with grilled greens.
Grilled Kale and other Greens
IngredientsI place the veggies and greens uncut, across the grill bars. This prevents them from falling through the grill and gives the veggies patterned grill marks.
- kale leaves
- red onion, sliced into large chunks (halves or quarters)
- green onions, trimmed
- green beans, trimmed
- asparagus, trimmed
- red pepper, sliced into large quarters
- mushrooms (crimini or other), whole
- sea salt (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed (or garlic powder)
- 1/2 a lemon squeezed over the greens
- high-heat oil (about 2 tablespoons), or olive oil if you’re keeping the grill below 325°F/163°C
- Heat up a grill of any kind (you can even do this over a stove or fire when you’re camping). Medium heat is ideal so you don’t burn things.
- While the grill is warming up, coat (brush) the greens and beans with sea salt, lemon juice, garlic, and finally high heat oil.
- Place all the greens on the grill.
- Grill the kale about 1 minute on each side, and grill all the other greens about 5 minutes on each side. Watch them to make sure they don’t get too dark.
- Cool and eat whole, or chop up in a salad.
Sounds great! Psst, think you want to change the lead-in header from “greans” to “greens.”
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
oh that looks so delicious! i loveeee grilled veggies! yum!!
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
What a wonderful idea! I grill lettuce and endive but have never thought to grill kale and other similar greens.