If you’ve been avoiding yogurt because it’s either made from dairy, you’re avoiding additives in commercial dairy-free yogurt, or you’ve run out of homemade cultured yogurt, here’s “yogurt” that’s simple to make. All you need is your favorite probiotic powder or capsule and a food processor or high-speed blender.
This is my favorite probiotic powder, but feel free to use any powder or empty a few probiotic capsules for this yogurt recipe.
I know folks with sensitive digestive systems and active IBD may avoid raw food, however some raw foods, while not cooked, can be prepared to the point that they are easier to digest. Smoothies and this yogurt recipe are great examples of easy-to-digest raw food.
As for the berries, you might want to avoid those if seeds are an issue.
I also added my latest favorite grain-free granola recipe. The pecans and pumpkin seeds give it a great crunch without being too hard of a bite that some granolas can have when they use oats or firmer nuts and seeds.
To make the parfait, I suggest keeping the ingredients separate until you’re ready to combine them, especially if you like your granola crunchy. Or, at least combine the berries and yogurt in a container and add the granola when you’re ready to eat the parfait. Enjoy!
Cashew Banana Yogurt
- Blender or food processor
- 1 cup cashews soaked for 2 hours and drained
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut water or coconut milk or water; add a bit more if needed to adjust the thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder
- pinch of salt optional
- Blend all the ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Alternatively, place all the ingredients, except the coconut water, in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Turn the motor on and drizzle in the coconut water in a thin stream. Keep processing until the mixture is very smooth.
- Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, the yogurt will keep for 2 days.
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 300ºF (150ºC, or gas mark 2).
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick mat.
- Mix the pecans, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the coconut oil and maple syrup and mix again.
- Spread the granola mixture onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool and serve. Store sealed for a few months.