Fish sticks

Fish Sticks

These fish sticks were made with Pacific Halibut, which, luckily, is still fairly abundant due to careful fishing management. To find out which fish are a good choice, take a look at the Blue Ocean Institute’s Guide to Ocean Friendly Seafood.

I use salmon with this recipe as well, and almost any thick cut of fish will work. I cook it with the skin attached, and the bones out (filleted).

Fish is a part of our weekly diet, but only two of the four of us (not counting our dog and hamster) like to eat fish. So, for the two non-fish eaters there are cod liver oil capsules in the refrigerator. But it’s much more fun eating the whole thing.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Paleo, SCD  |  12 Comments

12 Responses to Fish sticks

1. Shauna says:

OMG, looks delicious! Side note: I am a HUGE fan of your site and I was wondering if you had any glutten free stuffing recipes up your sleeve? Please and thank you!

Shauna, I wish I could cook and post as fast as I can think of food I’d like to make (don’t we all). I do have a recipe in the making, but I don’t know if I’ll get it out in time. Here’s what I have so far: quinoa as a base cooked in vegetable (or turkey) broth; then brown onions, mushrooms, raisins (or dried cranberries), celery, walnuts, and herbs & spices, and melted butter with a squeeze of lemon. Mix all together and bake for about 15 minutes with foil over it. This could change, but it’s my plan of record. I am getting a lot of pressure to make a cornbread stuffing with sausage in it – the carnivores here are fighting my transition to mostly vegetable meals.

2. Andrea says:

Do you think this will work with frozen fish? I was thinking that I might need to dip the fish in an egg wash first, similar to chicken nuggets? I’d love your thoughts. Thanks!

Egg can certainly help if the fish are frozen – I haven’t tried it though. The only thing is I don’t know if the fish will cook well in the center if it’s frozen. Maybe baking the frozen fish would be better than frying in this case.

3. SJ says:

A lot of the almond flour fell off in the pan. Do you have thoughts on how to prevent it other than egg? Thanks!

Yes, this can happen without the eggs. Try leaving the fish sticks on one side until they’re a bit more browned. You can also bake them – just an idea.

4. amanda says:

How would you bake these? Would you put oil or spray the pan then bake? And I know this is a strange question, but do these have a strong almond taste? My son will eat almond base things, but as long as it doesn’t taste like it. I love this recipe though, I used to make my own fish sticks with homemade bread crumbs, but since going gluten free I have cut them out. So these would be great.

They don’t taste almond-like to me once they are fried. Baking will dry them out so they’ll have a different flavor – a bit more crusty and dry. I haven’t tried it yet, but I like your idea of rubbing oil on the baking pan. Let us know how it goes :)

5. Xiomara says:

I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check bасk lateг on
    and see іf the рroblem still exists.

6. Robin says:

Tried this and the fish was good. I did drip my fish in egg white to get the flour to stick. When I fried them they browned nice at first, then when i flipped them the second side just went white and mushy. never could get it to brown. so i just scrapped it off and we ate it anyway. Any suggestions on what i did wrong. Could it have been the egg white, maybe too much moisture.

these are a bit fussy and delicate. Yes, don’t fry too long or the fish won’t stay together. I try to choose thick, firm pieces of a white fish. Also, some tricks: store the breaded fish in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or so before frying; leave space between the fish sticks so they don’t steam; don’t use too much oil at once. Hope that helps.

7. Christy says:

This was another favorite we had tonight for supper!! Very very good!! Mine didn’t turn out as pretty as the picture above, but was delicious.