Chocolate Biscotti

Chocolate Biscotti

Chocolate biscotti reminds me of chocolate cookies I had as a kid, like Oreos and chocolate sugar cookies. I use a good amount of fair trade cocoa in this recipe, but you can probably go with a bit less and still get delicious results. Although you don’t need to add much to these, some nuts or chocolate chips make a great compliment to the crunchy, chocolaty goodness. Dunking in a cup of tea or coffee works too!

This recipe is almost identical to the Basic Biscotti recipe, except that I add cocoa. Another optional addition is a teaspoon of muscovado sugar for a bit more sweetness and a sugar crunch here and there.

Posted in Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  9 Comments

9 Responses to Chocolate Biscotti

1. Jannel James says:

What kind of almond flour do you buy? Where do you get it?
    Our coop only sells Bob’s Red Mill almond flour/meal.
    Jannel

See the list of sources I have at the bottom of the “Baking with Almond Flour” post:
    I buy mine from Hughson Nuts.

3. Jill says:

I followed the recipe exactly and my biscotti fell apart when it was time to cut them into slices. I let them cool about 15 minutes, was that too long? :(

They shouldn’t fall apart. Did you add the eggs (which binds them together)? You can cool them forever and then reheat them – shouldn’t make a difference.

• Jill says:

Yes, I had two extra large eggs in there. All I can think of is the moisture contents of the other ingredients was off, maybe not high enough? My almond flour was in the freezer so it may have become extra dry also my honey has to be cut out of the jug (I get local honey in big containers, this is from last year.) Then I did throw in a handful (about third cup) of organic flaked coconut so maybe that was the variant it didn’t like. Also, my local humidity varies widely and it is hard to gauge whether I need more or less moisture on any given day. The chunks that I have though are Delicious! They’re still getting eaten, just not something I could give away yet. Thanks for your quick reply!

oh, the coconut probably did it. Coconut soaks up moisture really well – too well. It probably dried it out. Maybe some more eggs would help?

4. Linda says:

I added a 3rd egg – I use stevia for baking as the sweetener. The batter was a bit too dry without the honey.
    Thanks for posting and for all your recipes! You make eating low carb easier.

5. freya says:

these look great! will be making them this weekend for my 3 year old’s birthday party! i’m always looking for grain free options. i’m sure he and everyone else will love them! any suggestions for a birthday cake? the tricky part is that the people attending are used to cakes made with white flour and refined sugar – but i want to do it the healthier way – is it possible to still please the crowd? i love your site – a big inspiration :)