Spinach Tart {with an almond flour quiche crust}

Spinach Tart

I love green food. I always have. I was the kid who liked broccoli, spinach, squash, and brussel sprouts. My perfect quick meal is sauteed spinach with onions, olive oil, cheese, and 2 eggs. Basically the filling for Spanakopita, Greek spinach pie. Here is my version of a spinach pie using an almond flour pie crust.

I use feta cheese made from sheep’s milk, Valbreso Feta, imported from France. I’ve been able to find it at my local QFC, and many cheese sections carry this brand. Of course, any brand will work for you.

If you eat lactose-free cheese, use dripped yogurt that has been fermented for 24 hours. Also, add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the cheese. As an FYI, many hard cheeses, including Swiss and cheddar, have little to no lactose (milk sugar) left in them by the time they are fully cultured. Sheep and goat cheeses are usually easier to tolerate when you are lactose intolerant.

Posted in Breakfast, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  28 Comments

28 Responses to Spinach Tart {with an almond flour quiche crust}

1. Hänni says:

Yummy! I can see this being served as a special occasion offering. I think it might go well on a Thanksgiving table.

Thanks, Hanni (love your name:). I have to confess I eat it for breakfast too.

3. Matty says:

mmmm gluten free! Thanks!

4. Tracee says:

I love spinach pie! This is similar to an old recipe I have been using. It was one of the first spinach recipes I really enjoyed, so it’s great to try on picky eaters. Baking the pie with sliced tomatoes on top is good too.

5. Frenchie says:

I have never had spinach pie but this sounds like exactly the type of dinner dish I would want. I usually feel guilty about most of the savory tarts I come across but this is exactly what I am looking for healthy and satisfying. I can’t wait to make it.

6. This sounds spectacular! I definitely want to give it a try. Gorgeous photo, as well.

Thanks for the kudos. Tracee, I like the tomato idea. I also thought of something sweet, like cranberries or raisins might be tasty.

8. Misty says:

yummy, subbed the cheese with mostly farmers cheese and a little parm. thanks i was cravign something like this!

9. Stacie says:

I can’t wait to be able to incorporate almonds again just so I can try this! I love Spanikopita-and just about anything else with feta and spinach. In fact, I have the exact same sheep’s cheese in my fridge.

10. Ruth J hirsch says:

Hi,
      Just got back to your lovely site. i have realized a confusion: reading your Spanakopita recipe, when giving ounces are you meaning fluid-ie, in a meas cup? Or weight?
      Ruth
      (on SCD)
      partner-in-healing@earthlink.net

Thanks, Ruth. The ounces are in weight in the case of the feta cheese. Thanks for asking :)

12. Leah says:

My husband has Ulcerative Colitis and we follow the SCD diet. I made him this spinach tart and he LOVED it. I was almost out of almond flour, so I made it without a crust.
      I added an egg, and used feta as well as some other grated cheeses and sprinkle parmesan on top with sliced tomatoes.
      Thank you so much!

Leah, I make it without the crust too. I love your additions – thanks for sharing!

14. Ann says:

Hi, it’s me again, i’ve been asking a lot of questions on your site recently, but your recipes look so good, and i’m very interested in making them. I’m the one who can’t eat eggs. Do you think there is any way to make this spinach tart or a quiche of some sort that doesn’t contain eggs? Thanks for all your time!

Ann, thanks! The egg thing is a tough one because it keep everything together. That said, I think this pie could be made without the eggs. You just need some “glue” – maybe adding another kind of cheese that has some elasticity, like mozzarella or Parmesan cheese to the mixture would do the trick.

16. What a fantastic recipe! A family member, who’s on the SCD, found your blog. She loves this recipe. I have no food restrictions, and I love to eat this too! The almond flour crust is just delicious.
      Thank you so much!

17. Loral says:

HI there, this looks amazing but was just wondering if the crust recipe is for one or two crusts? it only confused me cos your lemon freezer pie says the same recipe (basically) makes two crusts…

18. Emma says:

This recipe looks great – is there something I can substitute for the butter in the crust?

19. Sherri says:

I just tried this one tonight. Thanks, by the way, for such a great resource site. It was wonderful and I will definitely make this again. I did add a few items just for my own personal taste…to the filling, I added chopped tomatoes, and crumbled bacon. Delish!

20. Katie says:

I love the spinach tart recipe but have to confess I’ve only made the crust. I have filled it with various meats and veggie mixtures to make quiches! I have had a hard time converting to a paleo diet because breakfast was hard to make sufficient enough for me. I know that might sound silly but this recipe changed my out look on the way I eat in the morning! To also help with the expense of almond flour I have been making it using 1/3 flax seed meal and it’s great! Thank you so much for your help!

21. Samantha says:

could I sub gluten free all purpose flour and still have the crust taste ok?

22. Rachel says:

Can this be frozen successfully? My friend and I are going to make and freeze many SCD goodies tomorrow and this looks healthy and delicious. Thank you!

23. Lisa says:

ok, I had to do it-I added crisp fried pork belly. Is wonderful either way.