I’m so proud when I manage to re-create the taste of something that I used to buy in a jar. And this is quite simple to make—it just requires a bit of patience as you slowly drizzle the oil into the processor.
Homemade mayo is great because you choose the oil to use, and the egg, and the, well, you get the point. Enjoy!
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or dry mustard
- drizzle of honey optional
- 1 cup oil mild-flavored so it doesn't dominate the flavor of the mayonnaise; avocado, safflower, sunflower or a light olive oil
- In a food processor, add the mustard, egg, lemon juice, and honey.
- Turn your processor on high and slowly drizzle the oil in the mixture - add it to the small opening on top that many processors and blenders provide.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for a few weeks.