Berry season is coming up (or it may already be with you). In any case, berry sorbets are so refreshing and so easy to make. This not only serves as a refreshing snack or dessert, but is great for whipping up strawberry smoothies.
For the smoothie, I use a blender and I usually add about 1 cup of the sorbet, one cup of fruit juice (lemonade works well too), some crushed ice, and then blend. You can easily double or triple this recipe for more of the same.
- Ice cream maker
- 3 pounds strawberries trimmed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rum or other alcohol; to keep it from freezing rock solid
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Combine the honey and water in a saucepan and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to create a sweet syrup. Cool the syrup.
- Wash and trim the leaves and stem off of the strawberries.
- Place the strawberries in a blender or food processor, and blend until the strawberries are pureed.
- Combine the pureed strawberries, lemon juice, rum, and the syrup, and blend well.
- Cool in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Add the mixture to an ice cream maker to make the sorbet.
- It will be somewhat soft, but completely delicious, or you can place it in the freezer for storage and pull out at a moment's notice - almost. I usually need to let the frozen sorbet defrost for 5 minutes before I scoop it out.