This sweet summer concoction requires very little to no sweetener, thanks to the sweetness of the watermelon. And since it’s going to be hot the next few days here in the Seattle area, we’re consuming stuff that keeps us cool and hydrated.
This recipe works well with fresh, ripe watermelon as well as watermelon that is getting soft. So if you have some watermelon on the way out, this recipe is a great excuse to use it up.
A great variation on this recipe is a watermelon slushy. Reserve a bit of the watermelon juice at room temperature and and dissolve sweetener in it. Freeze the watermelon juice for a few hours, and then place all the ingredients in the blender and whirl away until it’s slushy.
And if you’re so inclined, this is a great base for margaritas, mojitos, or sangria!
- 4 cups watermelon chopped into pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey or other sweetener
- Blend the watermelon pieces until it's all liquid. If needed, strain any seeds or watermelon out of the liquid.
- Add the honey to the watermelon and blend again to dissolve the honey in the watermelon cooler.
- Refrigerate the watermelo cooler until ready to drink.