I’m going to try to make this easy for a few reasons. First, if you’re cooking for the holidays you probably have some planning to do. Second, the list of ingredients is pretty simple and bacon is involved. And like a lot of food, any previous biases might change with the addition of bacon. So if you have not given brussel sprouts much show time, think again.
If you’re not feeling the bacon or don’t eat it, replace it with one medium red onion, peeled and diced, plus about 1 to 2 tablespoons of high heat oil. Or another option is to add both the bacon and the onion.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Bacon
- 8 ounces bacon strips diced into bite-size pieces
- 2 pints brussels sprouts
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or other vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6).
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half, the long way, across the stem so you have equal haves. Clean off any loose leaves.
- Place a large skillet or saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the bacon and brussels sprouts and cook for about 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Add the maple syrup and vinegar and toss once more.
- At this point, I like to shift the brussels sprouts so most or many of them are facing down and will brown that way once they're in the oven.
- Place the brussels sprouts pan in the oven and roast for 15 minutes or until they begin to brown on the pan side.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.