This roasted chicken and vegetable soup is a variation on the standard chicken soup recipe that incorporates the great flavor of roasted vegetables. It makes for a thicker rendition of this nurturing comfort food and it’s loaded with vitamin A and C.
I don’t eat meat too often, but occasionally a dark roasted rotisserie chicken calls my name. This recipe takes great advantage of roasted (or rotisserie) chicken leftovers. Of course, any chicken you have will work. If you already have stock and leftover chicken, all you need to do is roast the vegetables.
I practically live on roasted vegetables once the weather cools. My first cookbook has a simple recipe for roasted vegetables, and I shared another variation of roasted or sheet pan vegetables in my ratatouille “pasta” recipe.
This version of chicken soup is great because you not only get the great flavor of the roasted veggies, but by blending part of the vegetables in broth you get a thicker, more flavorful version of what would normally be just a broth with chicken and vegetables. And as for cutting up the butternut squash, I cheated a bit and used a pre-cut bag from Trader Joe’s.
Roasted Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons high heat oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 cup carrots chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup butternut squash peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups roasted chicken, shredded or leftover cooked chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for the soup
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper optional
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach or kale
- Preheat oven to 425º (220°C, or gas mark 7).
- Prepare the chicken and stock (see recipe notes).
- Toss the vegetables in the oil and and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Spread them out on a sheet pan with a non-stick surface (I use parchment paper) and roast for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender (you can slide a fork in them).
- Place all the onions and about half the roasted vegetables in a blender with 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining vegetables to the chicken stock.
- Add the pureed vegetables and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the soup, and simmer for a few minutes. Optionally, you can add some chopped kale or spinach to the soup. Sometimes I add frozen peas to the mix.
- Serve very warm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days, or freeze for a few months.