Donuts {made with almond flour}

Donuts

Donuts back east meant Dunkin’ Donuts, and donuts in the Seattle area mean Krispy Kremes. This was a hard one to avoid, especially since there is a drive-through KK not far from our path home when I shop big. I am guilty of bringing them to class as birthday party treats when the kids were younger. No more though.

I purchased this mini-donut maker on eBay – risky, but it worked out. I tried the donut pans that go in the oven, but it was tough to get them stick-free – place lots of clarified butter in the donut circles in the pan. This mini-donut maker is made by a company called Maxim, but don’t do a web search on this company with kids around - the donut maker isn’t made anymore from what I can tell. If you found a good donut maker, let me know.

12/1/09: King Arthur sells a mini-donut maker. Thanks, Holly!

Donut maker

I use this recipe for waffles as well (in a waffle iron), so I’ll post my waffle recipe another time. This was S’s (my younger son) suggestion – “hey, use the waffle recipe in the donut maker!” Brilliant idea, since we like the waffles too.

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  42 Comments

42 Responses to Donuts {made with almond flour}

1. Tom S says:

Wondering if this would work with/for cupcakes?

I’m not sure since I haven’t tried it. I will be posting a recipe for fluffy cupcakes over this weekend , which might be more of what you’re after. Let me know if you try it.

3. Karen says:

Oh My, I can’t wait to try these! thanks for a beautiful website with so many recipes. I feel like I have found a lost treasure chest.

Karen, let me know what you make them in – I’m always on the lookout for a good donut maker.

5. Tracee says:

Yeah thanks…now I’ll be obsessing over how I can find a donut maker! We haven’t had donuts in over 18 months. What a fun recipe (and might be another way to sneak carrots into my sons diet).

Sorry, Tracee… not really :). I’m thinking of trying this recipe with almond butter to get a fluffier outcome.

7. Bonnie says:

Do you think this would work well deep-fried like real donuts?

Not sure, but a very interesting question. As long as it can rise a bit in the oil, it seems like it would work.

9. Michelle Tiede says:

These look delicious! Have you ever thought of making an apple cider donut, since apple cider is SCD legal? If you come up with one, I would love the recipe! :)

Michelle – funny you mention that. I was thinking about it a while ago and then forgot about it. It would probably work well. Stay tuned!

• Amy says:

I’d love an apple cider doughnut as well! We use to get them (before our food allergies :() every Fall season when we went apple picking. I’ve seen recipes for gluten-free ones, but we are limited to almond flour and coconut flour. Can’t wait to see what you come up with, Erica! :)

11. kapu says:

do have the cal count for doughnuts?

12. Wow these look good. Do you have any good glaze recipes to drizzle over these?

13. Marya says:

Do you think this recipe would work with an aebleskiver pan?

14. Michelle says:

I just made these and they are pretty good. A little too much egg taste so I will try to tweak it. Besides that they are really good. Thanks for the recipe!

15. Amy Jo says:

as far as taste/texture goes, can you tell me the difference between your almond flour donuts and your coconut flour? thank you!

16. Julie says:

Thank you for the recipe, Erica! Yours is the first I’ve ever tried using almond flour and they’re absolutely delicious. Made my first two batches today, the second because I didn’t grease the pan well enough for the first batch and they stuck like crazy. Had to hack at them with a butter knife to get them out and boy, they were not pretty. But tasty enough to try again. :) Full of delicious goodness and not too sweet either. Going to attempt your coconut flour doughnuts next. :)

17. Lanie says:

Could you do this in the oven? I don’t have a donut maker.

18. Monique says:

For the person asking about using an abelskiver pan, this works great but make sure you turn them frequently to avoid burning. I made them and cooked them with a bit more honey and vanilla and added some scd jam in the centre as they cooked so they come out like filled doughnut holes.

19. Ami says:

Made waffles out of this recipe and both my children loved them! I an thankful I found this web site and for Pinterest to help change us over to gluten free!

20. Kelly says:

I was surprised at how well these baked up! They were nice, light, fluffy donuts in 20 minutes! My almond meal was pretty coarse, so I imagine these would have been even better with a more finely ground meal. I topped them with a glaze made of coconut oil, raw cacao, cinnamon, and a hint of agave nectar (I know, I know). Delicious!

21. Joelle says:

I used a nonstick donut pan that I got from bed bath and beyond and they came out perfect and sooo delicious!!

22. Chela says:

Do you have a coconut flour recipe? I would love to make these for my kids for school, but the school is nut free.

I have one on the site, search for “coconut flour donuts” which uses 6 eggs and I’ll have some new recipes in my coconut flour cookbook coming out next year.

23. London says:

Hey, thank you for the great recipe. The donuts taste delicious, only one problem: they stick to the pan. I tried spraying with coconut oil spray- they stick, then brushing with coconut oil-they stick? Help please, I want to make them look perfect, not sure why they just keep sticking?

London :o

Yes, unless you’re using truly non-stick donut pans or a donut maker, it’s going to be a bit challenging. I gave up on pans for the most part and use an old mini-donut maker, or just turn the batter into cupcakes :)

24. Elizabeth K. says:

Have you ever tried to make some sort of rainbow sprinkle to go along with the doughnuts?

25. Patti says:

I gave made these a few times. Did not have luck with donut pan-stuck miserably even though non stick. Found donut maker up I our garage- sears brand. Worked great. Only can make 2 at a time. I have added SCD yogurt also. Made the batter a little easier to work with. Do you know if we can use date sugar? Bought some before my daughter developed crohns. Says dried dates that have been powdered. Bought at a health good store.

I think it’s best to operate as if coconut sugar is not SCD legal because it’s made primarily sucrose (glucose and fructose), which is a double-sugar (which is not allowed on SCD).

26. Patti says:

Forgot to mention they tasted great. Love your site!! Have had a lot of fun baking for my daughter.

27. April says:

I love your recipes. We are new to cooking and eating gluten free/paleo, my husband didn’t love the almond flour pancakes like I did, but he loved these donuts. The pancakes I had to add another 1/2 cup of almond flour the batter was a little runny for me, but I loved them. I just made these donuts and loved them as well, my hubs even said they were DELISH and eating the rest of them as I type this :)

I have a sunbeam donut maker we got last year as a gift, and it has a latch on it to keep it closed, the second batch I put I kinda exploded, there was like a suction on it, which made it hard to open, but when I did get it open, one of my donuts flipped out at me, kinda funny, but delicious :)

Thanks! For the pancakes, if you’re using my almond flour pancake recipe the batter is should be thick, so I would check the ingredients again. See the photo of the batter on the skillet – it sits in a thick circle.