Red Lentil Soup

Red Lentil Soup

Red lentils are beautiful, almost-paper-thin, orange jewels, that turn into a delicious soup in a relatively short amount of time – about 20 minutes. Add about 10 minutes of prep time for a total of about 30 minutes to have a delicious lunch or dinner soup.

There are so many reasons to eat lentils. They’re inexpensive, easy to cook, and a great source of iron.

I’ve been wanting to recreate my grandmother’s lentil soup for years, but with little effort and success, I gave up a while ago. And then I read this recipe and got inspired. Lucky for me, it is a great recipe that I played with to fit what I had on hand, and my own taste.
And, feel free to add your own additions, and top with some crème frâiche or yogurt.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, SCD, Soup, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  16 Comments

16 Responses to Red Lentil Soup

1. Ann says:

Erica, This looks fabulous. I can’t wait to try it. I have been making my mom’s lentil soup for years. It is also terrific, but this looks like a nice change. A question for you: What are the differences among red lentils, “French lentils”, and the regular lentils. Not even sure what those are called, but I am thinking of the olive green/brown ones found so easily at the grocery store.

Hey Ann! Which lentils do you usually use? From my searches, it looks like French lentils are the green lentils. Take a look at the link to the wiki on lentils above in the text. It seems like some lentils have the husk on and others don’t. The red and white don’t have the husk on. There’s quite a variety. I want to try white lentils as well – mostly because they cook faster than others. I also had no idea that Washington state is one of the biggest producers of lentils.
    This link has a nice list of the many varieties: http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Lentils.htm

3. Danielle says:

The soup looks great. Have you found an SCD legal sausage by chance?

4. Karen says:

Another inspiring picture and recipe…just beautiful!

Danielle, for SCD sausage I recommend getting ground meat and seasoning it yourself – I know, a lot of work. Some brands work for me, but read the label (I’m not 100% SCD anymore) to make sure it’s ok.
    These sausages might work for you: http://www.applegatefarms.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?id=1658

6. Nancy Jackson says:

I just wanted to say that I made this last week and it was delicious! I had 4 scrumptious lunches in the week. Didn’t add sausage or anything else – just the soup – and finally I had a comfy belly!

Good to hear, Nancy :)

8. Tracey says:

I made this the other day (minus the sausage). My husband and I ate the whole batch in less than two days! It was delicious.

9. Letha says:

When I make lentil soup I use half red lentils and half french lentils. I LOVE the results, seems like the best of both worlds to me. The red lentils sort of melt into the soup and the french lentils retain their bite. Yum. I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but I’ve been using one from the Joy of Cooking for years, and while normally yummy, when I started going 50/50 on the lentils it reached new hights.

Letha, thanks! I am beginning to realize that red lentils are great for thickening soups, rather than making them the primary ingredient. Some of my family couldn’t tolerate the soup, so less focus on the lentils and more on other vegetables would be a great next step.

11. cyn says:

Lentils I have learned are SCD legal, but I have found mixed views on how to make them SCD legal, that is soaking them. Is this true that you have to soak them? And if so, how long?

Some lentils require soaking and others don’t. Most of the lentils I purchase don’t have to be soaked – so I guess ready the label.

• Julie says:

I have found out that for SCD even red lentils need to be soaked, no matter what the package says. So maybe that’s why your family did not tolerate the lentil soup.

12. Rebekah says:

Really delicious… I used all chicken stock and added a big splash of red wine vinegar, plus a minced serrano pepper. No sausage. Thanks very much :)

13. Debra says:

Just made this tonight (minus the sausage) and my entire family loved it and asked that it become a regular menu item. Thanks for the great recipe!