Caramel Sauce

Comfy Belly: Caramel dipped apples

Here’s a recipe for caramel sauce that takes some dedication (about 15 minutes of stirring), but is definitely worth it. And imagine all the things you can add it to: ice cream, coffee, milkshakes, fruit, yogurt, just to name a few. I use this recipe to make caramel apples and in a cool, sweet drink.

Comfy Belly: Dipping apple in caramelComfy Belly: Dipping apple in caramel

Caramel sauce

Caramel sauce using coconut milk, boiled until pourable (not boiled as long as the darker caramel sauce).

I’ve tried this recipe using heavy cream and full fat coconut milk, and both worked well. The overriding flavor is that of the salty sweetness of caramel (regardless of which cream or milk you use). Inspiration for this caramel sauce came from this recipe at 101 Cookbooks.

Tip If you’re using heavy cream with this recipe and you  boil the caramel sauce to the point of almost burning, you can turn the caramel into caramel candies. Just place drops of caramel on a parchment paper (or a non-stick surface) and as it cools you can shape each drop and then wrap in paper. And there you have it—caramel toffee candies!

Caramel on a steady simmer

Caramel cooling in an ice bath

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, Sauces & Dressings, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  27 Comments

27 Responses to Caramel Sauce

1. Ellen says:

Sounds lovely, but it’s not SCD if you start w. heavy cream….You could make the cream into yogurt and then it would be SCD (but taste different). Thanks. Love your blog!

2. Beautiful!! I bet that would be so delicious over an almond flour cake!

Yes, Ellen. I made note of the SCD condition. I don’t think this recipe would work well with yogurt, but let us know if you try it.

4. Ellen says:

Yes, I saw that. I should have also noted that canned coconut milk is not considered legal on SCD. Again, I really love your blog, but SCD success is often in the details….

5. Katie says:

Ellen,
    Canned coconut milk without additives actually is legal on the SCD. Many have used the Natural Value brand with great success. Here is a link to the Legal/Illegal list: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm
    Hope you will try it Ellen — makes treats like these much easier : )
    Katie

6. Tracee says:

Yum. You can also make coconut milk from unsweetened coconut. I’ve been wanting to attempt making nut milk. If I can perfect it I’ll try making this recipe with it.

7. Katie says:

Tracee,
    Elana Amsterdam has an easy recipe for homemade coconut that’s nice and straightforward. http://www.ElanasPantry.com
    Great thinking — I erred on the side of sloth and immediately thought of those two cans of coconut milk in MY pantry, heh heh… ; )

Thanks Katie. Here is my post on various ways to make coconut milk as well: http://www.comfybelly.com/2010/06/coconut-milk.html.
    To make almond or coconut milk, you can simply soak the ground almonds or shredded coconut in hot water at a ratio 1 to 2 (1 cup of almond to 2 cups of hot water). It’s actually all over the Internet, and varies in ratio, however the 1:2 ratio yields the richest milk.

• nj says:

Sounds great. I finally graduated to coconut milk.
      I’m sooo happy. I can finally take back my carmel apples!!!
      I was thinking of canning this. Do you think it is possible?

9. Marie says:

Looks awesome! How long does it keep in the fridge?
    Also, any ideas on how to use it to make caramel popcorn?

Marie – so far my longest run in the fridge has been 4 weeks.
    Caramel popcorn – yum. I haven’t tried it (yet), but I think I would combine some caramel sauce with some salted butter (or salt and butter), and lightly coat the freshly popped popcorn. I’ll let you know if we try it.

Marie – forgot to add that I would bake the popcorn on a low temperature in the oven for a while. I looked at this page for hints: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=420375

12. Luana says:

Would xylitol or stevia work for a sweetner?

Hi Luana – I’ve only tried honey. I imagine maple syrup would work, but you do need some kind of syrup-like sweetener to get the consistency that you want for the caramel. So I suspect the other sweeteners would not work. Commercial caramel uses corn syrup quite often, to get the right consistency.

14. elizabeth says:

im scd and im looking for a good sauce for ice cream and caramel frap what nut milk works best

Elizabeth – I would suggest you use the nut milk that you like because the caramel will have that taste in it.

16. Joanne says:

So I just made this with fresh coconut milk and added two tsp of coconut flour about two minutes before I stopped cooking.
    It thickened it up a bit and does not taste gritty at all! Yum!

17. Jenna says:

This is so good! I just made it for a Halloween snack for my husband and I! I haven’t had that taste in ab out 10 years! Thank you, thank you!

18. Michelle says:

Can’t wait to try this with heavy cream for the good saturated fats. We follow Weston Price at our house. SCD diet did nothing for us, but everyone has to do what works. I do like using almond flour for added protein in recipes. My daughter and I love your blog. Thanks so much for the great recipes!!!!

19. ELizabeth says:

this looks so good! i have a question can u keep it in a bolw or does it have to be a jar??

20. Jeri says:

This looks so good. I have several bottles of Lyle’s Golden Syrup in my pantry that I haven’t figured out what to do with. I am going to use it for this recipe and see how it turns out. I’m hoping to make a caramel sauce that stays soft even in a cold drink – just like Starbucks. Caramel Macchiato’s are my downfall.

21. Shaina says:

Do you think this would work to make caramel apples? Does it harden enough to stay on the apples? Thanks!

22. Shamsi says:

Just made this with almond milk, erythritol, stevia, and salt. I read somewhere else that when making caramel with erythritol it’s better not to stir it once it comes to a boil (erythritol tends to recrystalize all over the place and can harden easily), so that’s what I did. After 15 minutes it was delish! Thanks for the recipe.

23. Justine Blanchet says:

Dear Erica,

I’m just a kid of 12,but I really enjoy your recipes. My mom thinks that I’m very resourceful with all the recipes I bring to her! I am in charge of making the dessert for Saturday nights. My family and I, are following a diet called GAPS, for my little brother of 9. He has difficulties at school. Since we are homeschooled, my mom helps him a lot! So, that’s why I really like the new recipes, and the new things we get to taste! So THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

Sincerly,