Pad Thai

Pad Thai
If you’ve stopped eating noodle dishes in favor of more protein and vegetable-based meals, this dish really satisfies the hunger for a good noodle stir-fry. This recipe doesn’t use fish sauce, kits, or other processed components – just some basic ingredients, stir-fryed. And the noodle of choice: zucchini noodles.

I’ve made these with both zucchini and rice noodles, and they’re both really tasty, but I prefer the zucchini noodles for so many reasons (no sugar, no starch, more veggies, fewer processed ingredients). I use this julienne peeler, but you can use a regular peeler, or a mandoline. Even easier though is to use a food processor with the grader attachment, if you have it.

Zucchini noodles
Note If you don’t like zucchini, and you eat rice, you can use gluten-free brown rice Pad Thai noodles for this recipe (about 2 ounces of rice noodles). If you’re following SCD, stay with the zucchini noodles and salt for this recipe.

Some readers have asked me if I’ve had success making noodles from almond flour – I haven’t tried it. I am curious about making buckwheat noodles, so if you’ve made them, let me know how they turned out.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD  |  11 Comments

11 Responses to Pad Thai

1. Nikki says:

Wow, I haven’t thought of this! I’ve done the cauliflower rice, but zuchinni noodles is just genius!

Thanks Nikki! I’m the only one around here who likes the cauliflower rice – although I have had some takers when I make mashed “potatoes” using steamed cauliflower.

3. lucy says:

I am looking forward to trying this as just got a julienner…so you need to do anything else to the ‘noodles’? or just mix int he stir fry? any other cooking? thanks

Hi Lucy. Yes, just mix it in. That’s it. Not too long. The noodles will cook quickly, especially if they are thin (julienned).

5. n.j. says:

I made this for dinner last night, and even my zucchini-disliking crew thought this was fabulous. Thank you for posting it!

Great to hear, n.j.! I have a crew like that here too.

7. Licia says:

Thanks for this recipe – what a great idea, and your idea for using yellow zucchini is simple but an excellent variation. I’m really looking forward to trying this.

I’ve made buckwheat noodles. Its quite simple, and you follow the same recipe and cooking method as for standard homemade pasta – flour and eggs, let rest, pull through machine. You can make any form of pasta you like – spaghetti, tagliatelle, fettucine, lasagna, filled pasta. It doesn’t taste much different, particularly when covered with sauce and cheese. Buckwheat pasta are called pizzocheri in Italy, and they are considered a bit rougher and more rustic than white flour pasta.

Have you tried using celeriac for mash? Its fantastic (with lots of butter) on its own, or mixed with mashed potato. It goes well with everything, but especially game. I think it would also lend itself very well to making “cakes” – fishcakes, bacon&cheese cakes, etc. However, I think it is very advanced, borderline SCD.

8. Rachel says:

Looks great! Do you think spaghetti squash “noodles” would work instead of the zucchini noodles?

9. Alyssa says:

Erica,
    I made this for dinner last night and OMG! This recipe will now be a staple in my scd recipes. I have been on the scd diet for 4 months and I am always searching for good recipes. I doubled this thank goodness because I have leftovers for tonight! I didn’t think with the zucchini noodles it would be good but it was fantastic! My husband loved it too. The craving for pad Thai has been satisfied! Thank you Erica! I am going to so many more of your recipes now!
    Alyssa

Thanks! BTW, this is a somewhat old recipe; I now modify it using Red Boat fish sauce (which is just fermented fish so it should be SCD ok). I’ll try to post it sometime, but the basic sauce ingredients are 4 tablespoons of fish sauce, 3 tablespoons of honey, and 4 tablespoons of lime juice. That simple! Enjoy!