Kale Pesto

Kale

I’ve been craving green food lately, which led me to grab a big bunch of green kale while shopping. I went searching food sites to see if there was something besides kale chips, which I’ve had and love, but I wanted something a bit more substantial – like a meal.

Bowl of kale pesto brown rice penne

I found inspiration while perusing kale recipes at 101 Cookbooks, and what I came up with is a creamy, lemony, green pesto, loosely based on the winter pasta recipe.

Kale must be a super food, because it’s packed with vitamins and minerals. And I love that both the lemon and kale are alkaline-producing foods, helping us to lower acidity and inflammation in our body. Here’s one chart I found that can help you find more alkaline foods. Not all food I eat is alkaline, but I try to find a happy balance of acid and alkaline foods on a daily basis.

Kale pesto

You can add the pesto to brown rice or quinoa pasta, soups and roasted vegetables, or even baked fish or chicken. Next on my list is mixing the pesto with quinoa and rice for a tasty green risotto.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, Sauces & Dressings, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  14 Comments

14 Responses to Kale Pesto

1. Sophie says:

Your kale pesto looks divine!! I also love kale, called krul kool in Dutch!

MMMMMM,…That vibrant green is looking so tasty!

2. amy says:

I am wondering why you boil the kale, shallots, and garlic for a minute?! This does look very good!

Just to soften it a bit. The kale is very course and blanching it (essentially what you’re doing) changes the flavor slightly and softens it so it’s more like spinach in texture.

• amy says:

Ahhh. Thanks! I am going to make this w/my sis! My husband is not too adventurous when it comes to food! Kale is pretty strong!

You’ll find that blanching it takes the slight bitter taste out of the kale, and then the lemon and garlic dominate the flavor. Enjoy!

3. Hi there,

I am a HUGE fan of Kale and all greens! I do a pesto with collard greens that’s very similar. Another recipe that I love with Kale (that’s hearty, like your post mentioned) is a kale salad: tear into bite size pieces, cut and add red bell pepper and onion, mix with dash of lemon juice and guacamole … it’s substantial and it’s tasty and it’s different! Enjoy!

4. Scott says:

Awesome Website! Simple ingredients and simple preparation…somehow i think it used to be that way and we were steered away from it? Thanks for your efforts. If you are not already familiar, you should look into the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. Dr. Mercola is a great source too! Also a documentary about Dr. Burzynski is worthwhile!

5. Pingback: Think Green All Year Round | Rogers Peak Performers

6. Pingback: Think Green All Year Round | Healthnut Nutrition

7. Amanda Peterson says:

This looks wonderful! My kids love basil pesto and I’m confident that they will give this a try if I don’t volunteer the main ingredient…What is the serving size (on its own) and how many servings does it make?

8. Malu says:

I love this! What a great way to eat kale!