Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin

I love popping these in my bag for a snack while I’m on the run. Lemon, poppy seeds, and coconut flour – these are the some of the ingredients in these muffins, and they’re also alkalizing agents for your body.

cups, knife, lemon poppy seed muffins

A muffin plus a smoothie makes a great on-the-run breakfast. Since I can’t eat too early in the morning – we’re up at about 6 am most weekday mornings (ouch!) – I like to pack these two things in my bag to have a little later. They’re filling, but not a big meal. And they’re gluten-free!

I’m sure these would be good with almond flour as well, I just haven’t tried it yet. The ratio of flour to eggs will be different, so I’ll have to test it out another time. And don’t toss that lemon. It’s still has a lot of lemon juice in it.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin cooling

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian  |  67 Comments

67 Responses to Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins {using coconut flour}

1. Kristin says:

My favorite!! Can’t wait to try them! 🙂

2. Danielle says:

I think you left out the lemon juice in the ingredient list 🙂

3. Berneda says:

I just found your website and I LOVE IT! Thank you for what you do. 🙂

4. Emily says:

Was just daydreaming of making up some muffins this morning! So happy to see this.

Can almond flour be substituted for the coconut flour? If so, is it an equal amount?

Thanks!

5. Emily says:

…just read the ratio is different…guess I’ll give it a whirl and see how it turns out! If you have a suggestion though, please share. =)

I was just going to tell you that I’m going to try almond flour soon, but you definitely won’t need as many eggs. I just haven’t tested it yet, but you could use the fluffy cupcakes recipe as a guide for ratios.

6. Nikki says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe, we have a lemon tree and I am struggling to find a way to use all the lemons LOL! This will be a great start.

7. Mandy says:

Hi Erica,

I just tried these but mine didn’t come out fluffy like your photo. They baked and retained the same shape as when 1st scooped into the muffin liners and are VERY dry. Has this ever happened to you? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

These are always moist for me. Coconut flour sucks all the moisture out of things, so make sure your liquid measurements are accurate. Also, I use a liquid sweetener, which adds moisture. They should be rising (a bit) and moist. I fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way and they rise to the top. Hope that helps!

• Mandy says:

Thanks Erica!

I just noticed you posted the recipe with almond flour so I will give those a try next time.

Always appreciate your recipes!

8. Tiffany says:

Do you think it would work out ok to use sugar free maple syrup instead? I’m planning to give it a try.

It will probably be too dry. You can try adding some liquid in place of the missing moisture from the liquid sweetener – maybe 1/4 cup of milk or water. I haven’t tried this, btw.

I’m not sure. I didn’t know there was a sugar-free version of maple syrup!

9. Pingback: Dr. Rodney Ford, The Gluten File (and a Menu Plan) | Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom

10. Mike says:

Thanks for the recipe! They turned out great!

11. Audrey says:

What kind of oil did you end up using?

12. Nikki says:

These were lovely, thanks for sharing =)

13. Amy says:

Baking these now-they smell delicious. I am using grape seed oil today. I have started using half applesauce/ half honey in baking recipes for less sugar. The results so far have been good(like in your refrigerator cake–a favorite cake for my family!). I am sure it will be good in here as well. Thanks for the recipe!

14. Pingback: Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins | Food it Forward

15. Carmen Martinez says:

OH MY GOSH — these muffins are amazing! My 9 year-old put them together in the food processor and the entire family loved them! Lemon poppyseed anything is my eldest daughter’s favorite and she gave a big thumb’s up. So lemony, sweet without cloying, poppyseedish delightful! They keep their great flavor and texture the next day (and two) which is unusual for gluten free stuff. Sooo yummy with morning coffee. Thanks for the great recipe!

16. Hi! I had four egg yolks left over from a previous recipe and was looking for something to use them in (other than my hair) and stumbled upon your recipe. I used 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and 6-8 tbsp of water to make up for the egg white. I also used maple syrup instead of the honey as that was all I had on hand. They were very tasty! Mine actually didn’t rise alot either as another person said and I also found them a bit dry but tolerable. I read that you have to use 1 egg for every tablespoon of coconut flour in a recipe so next time I will try cutting back to 1/4 cup of coconut flour. It was still a great recipe though!

17. I just wanted to revise my review because I tried them again today and they were not dry at all! They were very moist and extremely flavourful! I will definitely be making these again.

18. Suzie says:

This recipe is great, the first gluten free recipe I;ve thought was truly delicious! My kids love it, too. I did it in an 8×8 pyrex dish since I was too lazy to wash muffin tins, and it turned out very nicely.

19. I made these on the weekend and followed the recipe exactly, except I used orange zest because that’s all I had. THESE. WERE. PERFECT. My family and I loved them and these will definitely become a staple for weekday snacks. Honestly, who needs wheat-filled muffins when you could have these gems? No one. These are some of the best muffins I’ve ever made–regular wheat-filled varieties included. The best part is they are so light and fluffy that you would swear they had wheat flour in them! Thanks so so much for this excellent recipe. I will definitely be trying other recipes of yours 😀

20. Cassia says:

Oh boy!

Thanks for posting this recipe, I’m gonna make them tonight! 🙂

~Cassia 🙂

21. Pingback: Monday Musings « The Chronicles of a Teenage Foodie

22. Pingback: Grain-Free “Oatmeal” « The Chronicles of a Teenage Foodie

23. Allison says:

I’m a newbie at baking with coconut flour…made these last night and they are delicious! The batter was really runny though and they are pretty egg-y and rich, almost like bread pudding. Is that normal? Or do I have a kind of coconut flour that measures less? I’m using the Let’s Do Organic brand.

hmmm. Not sure. They aren’t eggy for me. Maybe try adding a teaspoon more coconut flour next time. I use large eggs so it can’t be the egg size.

24. kate says:

anyone try egg replacers from whole foods market yet? I am vegan and want to use them/Thanks!

25. Mari says:

I just baked these muffins yesterday. Love these. AMAZING RECIPE! I did not change anything. Thank you so much. I used a blender.

Thanks Mari! Nice to know about the blender 🙂

27. Pingback: Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins | Food It Forward

28. Pingback: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (with Coconut Flour) | My Little Family's Favourite Recipes

29. Pingback: Friday re-cap | The Fit Lady Chronicles

30. Michelle says:

I just made these muffins and they were DELICIOUS! They were so moist and the texture was was springy and awesome. Thanks for the recipe!!

31. Pingback: Lemon Poppy Bread | Leave Happier

32. Ashley says:

Hi, thank you so much for all your recipes! I make the lemon almond flour muffins regularly and love them. I wanted to point out that in this recipe (which I am about to try, yay!) you say to add the vanilla at 2 different times. It probably doesn’t affect the recipe, but I know you would want to know it was there twice.
      Thanks again for all the work you do to share these recipes with the world!!

33. Amy says:

Hi- I want you to know these are my daughter’s favorite muffins. Making them tonight for the 6th straight week in a row. She takes it daily in her lunch for school. Thanks for such a great recipe!

34. Heather says:

I love your recipes!! I was wondering if you could take out the sweeteners like in this one the honey. What would you replace it with? For a sweetener I was thinking of a liquid vanilla sweetener.

Heather

35. Heather says:

Just made this, and could not wait for them to cool before devouring 3 mini muffins!! This is the best recipe I have fond so far with coconut flour.

36. Pingback: Montag, 13.07.2015 | SCD Diaries

37. Crystal Longo Savoy says:

These are amazing. I used chia instead of poppy seeds but they taste just like a lemon poppy seed muffin. So moist on the inside and the perfect lemon flavor. My husband and mother tried them and also can’t get enough. Thanks for the recipe!

38. KAthy Nash says:

I have already made your delicious zucchini bread with almond flour. So so delicious.everyone loves it even my 2 year old granddaughters.just making the banana bread now with almond flourand then want to make the lemon poppy seed muffins with coconut flour.dont like using wheat because of the high carbs in it.thanks for this wonderful website

39. Gigi says:

Hi Erica, thanks for the great recipe! I tried a little variation and thought I’d share: i used 2 yolks instead of 4 to make them a bit more healthy and added 2 spoonfuls of 0% strained greek yoghurt. Also added some flaked almonds on top! Soo delicious, thanks again!

40. I used a mixture of coconut flour and almond flour. 3/4 cups coconut flour and 1 1/3 cups almond flour. (I doubled the recipe) and they turned out AMAZING!! Very moist and fluffy. I didn’t intend on mixing the two flours but I didn’t do a good job eyeballing how much coconut flour I had so I improvised and SO glad I did!

41. Oops – it was 3/4 cup coconut flour not 1 3/4 cups.

42. Shannon says:

I made these this morning for breakfast. Didn’t have poppy seeds so put in blueberries- they were delicious- the whole family loved them, thank you- just one more comfy belly receive i’ll be putting into my regular rotation

43. Pauline says:

I never comment on recipes but this one was so divine I just had to! I didn’t have honey on hand so I subbed it with half maple syrup, half blackstrap molasses (for the minerals) and they were SO delicious. Really moist, not eggy like some coconut flour recipes tend to be. THANK YOU for making such a delicious recipe!