We had a birthday this week! Happy Birthday, S! This post is indulgent for many reasons, and I wanted to add it because I have always wanted to make an ice cream cake, and I finally did it, with some of my current favorite ingredients: coconut ice cream (dairy free) and brownies (protein rich and grain free).
I was inspired by Zoe’s ice cream cake blog post, and Zoe is a great online baking tutor. I’ve learned several baking techniques since reading her blog.
I modified the recipe using what I had on hand and my favorite ingredients, which I include below. And I made 4 layers, which I found to be quite enough to try to fit into my freezer. I stored the cake in my freezer by covering it with parchment paper since I didn’t have a box or cake cover that would fit. It would be great to have a homemade or store-bought cake box, but I made do (and it didn’t last too long).
For SCDers, substitute the Refrigerator Cake for the brownie cake and use an SCD-legal ice cream. Or, use my blondies recipe or my almond toffee brownies recipe in place of the brownies recipe. Or, use one of my yellow cakes from my cookbooks and shared on this website.
Brownie Ice Cream Cake
- 4 cups ice cream or more; about 2 pints of store-bought ice cream; I used two different flavors for each of the ice cream layers
- 1 batch brownie batter
- Make the ice cream (or buy it).
- Make the brownie batter and then divide it into two batches. Place each batter in a 9 inch cake pan and bake the two for slightly less time (5 minutes less) than the full batch calls for.
- Cool the brownie layers of the cake.
- Place one of the brownie cakes on top of clean cardboard, and then fit this bottom brownie layer onto the bottom of a spring-form pan. Place the ring of the pan on the brownie layer.
- Slip wax paper or parchment paper in between the ring and the brownie layer, so it is around the total circumference of the brownie layer.
- Add 2 cups of ice cream on top of the brownie layer.
- Place another brownie layer on top of the ice cream layer.
- Place another 2 cups of ice cream on top of the second brownie layer.
- Decorate the top as desired and place in the freezer for a few hours.
- Serve with candles and a howling rendition of the happy birthday song.