Here’s a chocolate chip cookie recipe, using almond flour and an egg. This recipe is similar to my other chocolate chip cookie recipe that is egg-free (and dairy-free if you want to use oil instead of butter).
I can have a batch of about 40 chocolate chip cookies made in about 20 minutes with this recipe. I have three cookie sheets, and non-stick cookie sheet liners (or I use parchment paper). And you can also cut this recipe in half if you don’t want as many cookies, or you don’t have the time and three cookie sheets.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Update 12/13/13: For an egg-free version, replace the egg with flaxseed egg. You’ll need 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal (I use golden flaxseed but any will work). The formula is
1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons of water = 1 egg
Let the flaxseed soak in the water for a few minutes and then add it to the batter when it calls for an egg.
I’ve made this recipe with Demerara sugar in place of the honey – the cookies just need to be shaped and flattened a bit if you want them to look like a smooth cookie. They come out with a nice crunch to them. The same goes for cookies that have coconut oil—shape them a bit before they go in the oven.
This cookie comes out a bit crunchy when made with honey, but looses the crunch as it cools. If you want to get back the crunch and have a warm cookie, straight from the oven, you can do one of the following: 1) reheat them in the oven for a few minutes 2) leave them in the oven for another 20 minutes at about 200 degrees F 3)place them in a dehydrator for about 2 hours on a fairly low temperature
For SCD, instead of using chocolate chips try raisins, walnuts, macadamia nuts, and other dried fruit.
- 2 1/2 cups of almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted (or 1/2 cup of coconut oil or vegetable shortening, melted)
- 1/2 cup of honey (or other sweetener)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (omit for SCD)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C, or gas mark 4).
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend with a spoon.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend it well with a spoon.
- Drop about a tablespoon of batter in each cookie spot on the cookie sheets. Space them about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are starting to brown around the edges.
Makes about 40 small cookies, or 25 medium cookies