Here’s what I’ve been eating while on the run this week. It’s fairly quick to make and it’s a recipe based on veggie leftovers. I ran around all day last Saturday, dashing in and out of the car to avoid a rainy, gloomy day, and then walked for an hour in the rain to exhaust our 5 month old puppy. So by early evening all I wanted to do was chill at home, but I ran out of time to go food shopping.
Leftovers ruled at this point. I had eggs, frozen spinach, a few crimini mushrooms in a paper bag in the back of the fridge, and package of sealed sheep feta cheese that was about to expire.
If for some reason you don’t want to use, or don’t have crimini mushrooms, white button or small shiitake mushrooms will work as well.
I haven’t had enough spinach in my life lately because I’ve been on a kale kick for the past year, so here’s my break from kale. And if you like Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie), you’ll like this as well. This recipe is similar to my spinach tart recipe, which includes a crust.
Mushroom Spinach Frittata
- 10 ounces chopped spinach frozen (see recipe notes for fresh)
- medium yellow or white onion trimmed and diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 7 ounces feta cheese see notes for subs
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a pie dish or baking dish with parchment paper, or rub oil on the bottom and sides.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and sauté the mushrooms in the olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms release moisture and brown a bit.
- Add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Cook until the onions begin to turn clear and then add the spinach and cook for a few more minutes.
- Turn the heat off, cool for a minute, and then add the eggs and cheese to the mixture and blend well with a spatula or spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the egg and cheese are baked into the frittata.
- Cool for a minute or so and slice. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for a week.