Have you ever made a spaghetti pie? I hadn’t, until now. That’s because now it’s using spaghetti squash. No pasta or pizza dough here.
This is an easy dish to bake and serve, and it can be eaten as breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or even snack. Make it and place it in the refrigerator for a few days. It reheats quickly and stays together. I haven’t frozen it and I suspect it would get kind of soggy if you tried to freeze and then reheat.
My base recipe is vegetarian and dairy free, but you can add cheese if you like, and your favorite protein (besides the eggs). I added the measurements for add-ons in the recipe notes.
There’s also a lot of flexibility, so think about adding other stuff you like on your pizza pie, including fresh herb, fruit, and veggies. I quickly pan-fry the veggies so the flavor is seared in before it bakes into the pie.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear about your additions or changes. It seems like there’s no limit to what you can do with this simple base recipe.
Spaghetti Squash Pizza Pie
- 2 pound spaghetti squash, whole about 1 kg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup spinach leaves shredded
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or other herbs
- 1 cup tomato sauce your favorite pizza or marina sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C or gas mark 6).
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick mat.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half (either direction) and place the cut side face down on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until you can insert a fork in the outer skin.
- Preheat a skillet and add the olive oil. Add the salt and mushrooms and stir-fry the mushrooms until lightly browned. Add the spinach and cook for another minute or until the spinach is wilted.
- Use a fork to remove the spaghetti squash from the skin. Remove any seeds as well.
- Add the cooked spaghetti squash, eggs, herbs, tomato sauce, and mushroom mixture to a large bowl and mix well with a spoon or fork.
- Rub oil on the inside of a pie dish and add the spaghetti mixture to the pie dish.
- Lower the oven to 350°F (180°C or gas mark 4) and bake the pie for 40 minutes or until the top starts to brown.
- Cool for a few minutes and slice to serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days.