Cauliflower is great as a low-carb substitute, especially with potato-inspired recipes. These Parmesan cauliflower tots make for a great low-carb snack or side dish.
This recipe, like many of my recipes, falls under a variety of low-carb lifestyles, including Keto, SCD, and Paleo. It’s not a coincidence that they overlap—this is a common focus these days for health and wellness reasons.
An important thing to consider is whether a recipe uses whole foods that are either not processed or minimally processed. I’m increasingly choosing food that is made of only whole ingredients that contain only fresh ingredients. The simpler the recipe the easier it is to use only whole foods.
Parmesan Cauliflower Tots
Yield 20 tots
I've made this recipe with anywhere from 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese to 1 cup, and it always comes out great. The only difference is the texture is slightly chewier with 1 cup of cheese. I've found the happy measurement for me is about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cheese. You can also replace the Parmesan with another cheese, such as cheddar, or a mix of cheeses.
For the cauliflower, err on the side of a little extra when measuring it.
As for seasonings, you can add fresh or dried seasonings such as dill, oregano, or parsley. The onion powder is just a suggestion.
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, steamed for a 5 minutes or so (tender but still firm)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (optional) or other seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine, just enough to have a thick, lumpy consistency.
- Spoon the tots out in 1 tablespoon drops across the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Serve hot.