Cinnamon Cocoa Cookies

Cinnamon Cocoa Cookies

I had plans for a cookie recipe using buckwheat flour, but Susan left me a message asking if I tried adding cocoa to the cinnamon cookie recipe, and I have to admit that I became curious. So I’ve left the buckwheat cookie recipe in draft mode, in favor of posting this cinnamon cocoa cookie.

I recommend you use the best cocoa you can find (and afford) – good cocoa makes a recipe just a bit better. For a variation, I also added chocolate chips to a few of the cookies. I think shaved chocolate would work well too. I debated about adding more cocoa to the cookies but I didn’t want them to taste too bitter. They probably could stand a bit more cocoa though, if you’re game.

In any case, these turned out well so I wanted to share them sooner rather than later.

Posted in Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  12 Comments

12 Responses to Cinnamon Cocoa Cookies

1. Hänni says:

Woah! These look really really good. I’m going to make this tonight. Another great recipe, Erica!

2. Susan says:

Thanks so much. I’m delighted you did this!!
    I’m making them right away..

3. BARB says:

wHAT NO EGGS AT ALL? i DIDN’T REALIZE YOU COULD BAKE WITHOUT ANY EGGS IN A RECIPE.

4. Kasey Ann says:

Just made these cookies! They are delish and very chocolaty! Using only 1/2 a cup of honey wasn’t enough to keep the flour sticking for me so I ended up using a little bit more. This however gave me the leeway to add more cocoa and chocolate chips. I’ll definitely be making this again!

5. Susan says:

I had the sticky flour problem too and overcame it by refrigerating the dough before making them into balls and pressing them. Dark chocolate cocoa makes these really rich!

6. lucy says:

Hi-just had to tell you I made these last night and so surpringly good-they remind me of snickerdoodles. My BF who is Gluten FULL, loved them. Thanks!

7. Amanda says:

>From the looks of these, these remind me of chocolate chip cookies. How would you make a simple chocolate chip version of these?

Amanda – you have two choices: go back to cinnamon cookie recipe and just add chocolate chips, or use this regular almond flour chocolate chip cookie recipe: http://www.comfybelly.com/2009/01/chocolate-chip-cookies.html

9. Jill says:

I have to say that I love your blog more than I can tell you. I have made so many of your recipes and I love them all. These cookies are my obsession. I add 1/2 cup of sunflower seed butter and put them in the freezer instead of cooking them. I can’t tell you how good they are! Thank you again!

10. Simone says:

I can’t have almond flour (nuts), can I use buckweat flour or what other flour could I substitute?

11. Andrea says:

these are in the oven now! i just bought a bag of honeyville almond flour..i was so excited to bake with it and this seemed like the perfect recipe!