Chocolate Chip Cookies

Stack of cookies

Here’s a chocolate chip cookie recipe, using almond flour and an egg. This recipe is similar to my other chocolate chip cookie recipe that is egg-free (and dairy-free if you want to use oil instead of butter).

I can have a batch of about 40 chocolate chip cookies made in about 20 minutes with this recipe. I have three cookie sheets, and non-stick cookie sheet liners (or I use parchment paper). And you can also cut this recipe in half if you don’t want as many cookies, or you don’t have the time and three cookie sheets.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  65 Comments

65 Responses to Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. Jillian says:

OMW. Those look a.w.e.s.o.m.e!

2. Alice says:

I was looking for a recipe like this after buying a 5 lb bag of almond flour. I was looking for a recipe like this after buying a 5 lb bag of almond flour. I just mixed up a batch of these this morning. I added a bit of vanilla extract. I used Demerara sugar as you mentioned in the header, but I forgot the tip on flattening them. So, we have mini scones for breakfast. Very nice!

• erica says:

Alice – thanks so much for reminding – I forgot to add the vanilla! Yes, they do taste a bit like mini-scones. Let’s just say it’s been a long week.

3. Susan says:

So does the recipe with the egg make a crunchier cookie?

• erica says:

Susan, it’s a soft cookie, for the most part. The egg doesn’t make it crunchier. The only thing I have found that would make it crunchier is to use some kind of granulated sugar. It is possible that it would be crunchier with less butter or oil, but I haven’t tried that yet.

• Susan says:

Well, that´s logical, thanks. I think I will try reducing the butter in continuing pursuit of more crunchy foods
        for my son.

Those very crunchy cinnamon cookies of yours are a staple in our house. I gave some to my friend who´s studying to be a pastry chef and she went into shock, saying it was one of the best cookies she´s ever had in her life.

4. Becky says:

These look delicious! I’m going to try making them today, cutting the recipe in half. I love the look of the new website!

5. Alice says:

I have been making a few cookies each day from the batch of dough I made last weekend. It kept well in the refrigerator, and we ate a few fresh-from-the-oven cookies each day. The last cookies were just a good as the first. Thanks for a great recipe.

Thanks Alice. Good to know!

7. Sophie says:

MMMMMM,..your gf almond chocolate chip cookies lok just so delectable! yummie food!

8. Elizabeth says:

Ive been scd for three months and i am NOT a big fan of nut but i do like macadam nuts, is there any other things you can put in it or are there good nuts that go in it

Elizabeth, try dried raisins, cranberries, cherries. Macadamia sound great too.

10. Maureen says:

Made these last night – awesome, my first real chocolate chip cookie since going gluten free. Thanks for the recipe

11. Luana says:

I just made this recipe tonight and this is a great cookie! I used xylitol instead of honey and cut up a 70% cocoa chocolate bar to use for the chips.

I got a dozen good-sized cookies from the recipe and don’t see how it could yield 40 cookies, unless they’re one-bite size. They did get larger, so I could have made them smaller and gotten 2 dozen.

Though I’ve baked with almond flour, I’ve not made cookies with it and am pleased with the texture. They are soft and chewy. I’m curious to see if they get a bit crisper after being stored. Either way, the recipe is sure a keeper. Thanks!

12. amy says:

Oh! These are dangerously good! I made(cutting recipe in half)these w/maple syrup(I am out of honey) and they turned out great! Added unsweetened coconut to them! Really love this recipe! A good basic–can do a lot of variations!

13. Fran says:

I made these over the weekend. I used sugar free chocolate chips and added unsweetened coconut. They are AWESOME!!

14. lindsay says:

OMG!!!!! This really tastes like a cookie! Just what I have been looking for to curbe my sweet tooth…thank you so much.

15. lindsay says:

OMG!!! tastes like a real cookie!!! just what i was looking for to curbe my sweet tooth! thank you!

16. Amy says:

I must have done something wrong. I perhaps made them too big? They all spread out thin over the pan and I got one giant cookie! :p We ate it anyway and it was good, but wondering if I had too much liquid somehow. Is the vanilla really a tablespoon or should it be a teaspoon? I followed it to the letter so if it is suppose to be a teaspoon, that may have been my problem. ;) I’ll definitely give it another shot! :)

If the cookie batter is warm that can happen. I would suggest cooling the batter a bit, maybe adding less butter (or oil). Did you use butter? I find this happens mostly with butter.

17. Aisha says:

I’m on a restricted diet where I can only use canola or olive oil. This recipe look so good and I was wondering if I can substitute the coconut oil with canola oil?

18. I just made those (half the recipe since i only had 1 cup of almond flour) and they are cooling until my kids get back from school :) i tried a bit and it is heavenly!!

19. Andrea says:

I recently came across your website and just made these with coconut oil and Rapadura sugar (Im assuming very similar to the Demerara?) and they turned out fabulous! I want to thank you for all of your wonderful posts and look forward to trying many more of your recipes.

I would also like to give my condolences in the loss of your faithful friend, my heart goes out to you. I know how hard that can be losing a part of your family, he was beautiful and very lucky to be so well loved.

20. Rachel says:

I loved these cookies soft, but my daughter wanted them crispy. I put some already baked cookies in the dehydrator overnight and they came out really nice. Like the crunchy Chips Ahoy I thought. I made them with coconut oil and find that I have to flatten them out because they don’t spread much.

21. Susan says:

In pursuit of crunchiness, I baked these like you recommended the cinnamon cookies (a little longer initially) and they came out perfectly.

22. Susan says:

that’s a saving grace when your kid wants everything to crunch.

23. I just made these WONDERFUL cookies….true when someone said they taste like real cookies. Dough is fabulous too! I subbed 1/4 C of the almond flour for 1/4 C cocoa powder, super yum! Kid approved and they didn’t even know they weren’t “regular” chocolate chip cookies. Thanks for the recipe!

24. Becky D says:

I’m wondering if it’s a typo, because I can’t figure out why the recipe would call for 8 Tablespoons of butter (1/2 cup) but only 1/4 cup of coconut oil in it’s place?

25. Karen Barlow says:

I just baked these cookies. I can’t use honey so I have to use Stevia instead. I added an extra egg and a little extra oil but they still came out dry. It seems that all the ones I try using almond flour like this come out dry and over cooked. Any suggestions? My kids were really looking forward to these cookies! That weren’t bad- just dry.

26. Lisa says:

I made these cookies this week for the kids, and they were amazing! Delicious and the kids have gobbled them all up now. I used sugar instead of honey, so the batter didn’t spread very much. As Luana mentioned, I got about 20 cookies out of this batch (around 2″ each.) They came out thick and chewy, like a coconut macaroon. Fantastic!

27. S says:

I made these a few months ago with almond meal [almost impossible to find almond flour in Australia...] and they were brilliant! I love crunchy almond meal cookies, but these were soft and so different than any other cookies I’d ever tried before. I’m making some again right now :] thanks heaps!

28. Mia's mama says:

These are excellent! Thanks for another great recipe the whole family can enjoy.

29. Stacy Young says:

How many calories are in each cookie?
    Thanks.

Stacy

30. joyce hammer says:

Just wanted to let you know I use this recipe every week with 3 changes…I use 1/2 c. melted coconut oil and 1/2 c. maple syrup. I also add 1 T coconut flour for stability and smoother cookie. YUM I also found some ground hazelnuts (I am from Oregon!) and that is wonderful also! Just try it!

31. France says:

Just made these! we all loved them! Thanks so much for sharing!

32. Whit says:

I am new to this whole cooking with belly friendly ingredients. I am wondering what is SCD?

33. amanda says:

These turned out wonderful! I have been enjoying your site since going gluten free, thanks for such great recipes.

34. Amy says:

Thank you, thank you for this wonderful recipe! My 2 year old son has a severe gluten intolerance and we also keep him grain free because he has a yeast sensitivity. I wanted him to be able to have some cookies for Christmas this year, and these are delicious! I can’t tell you how much it meant to me to see his little face light up when I said YES, he can have a cookie! (PS. My picky daughter and husband love them too…the first great success with grain free baking!)

35. Amy Gooch says:

I substituted the honey for applesauce and they turned out perfect. Thanks for the recipe!

36. Christina says:

These cookies were amazing! I used maple syrup as the sweetener and dark chocolate chips (60% cacao). Delicious! They came out crispy with chewy center right out of the oven and then chewy the next day. Your recipes always come out so good! Thank you!

37. umm to many says:

I loved this recipe, I have PCOS and a lot of restrictions, I have been finding myself nibbling on sweets again! But these are awesome, a healthy alternative and I was scared to try the recipe, i’m so glad I did.

38. Kristin Yeager says:

Made these today! They are so good! Thanks for your website!

39. katy says:

Yum! Just made these with maple syrup and white chocolate chips. So easy, so fast, so good!