Raw Blackberry Cheesecake

Roses

Summer has indeed come to an end. Everyone is heads down in school, the yard is empty, the roses have slowed down, the dog is lonely, and it’s getting darker earlier. But the blackberries are going strong.

empty yard

sad dog

blackberries

The 2012 Seattle eternal summer brought quite a bounty of blackberries. All along the streets in my neighborhood the blackberries glisten with plumpness, ready to be gently rolled off their vines. My fingers turn purple from leaky berry juice, joined by a few accidental thorn punctures. And it’s all worth it. I’ve frozen two pie-loads of berries, I’m making blackberry syrup for pancakes, and there’s this raw blackberry cheesecake.

Raw Blackberry Cheesecake

I’m enamored of how cashews and lemon make such an amazing couple. The trick is to soak the cashews and then process the white layer for a minute or two for a smooth, creamy filling that seriously rivals the traditional dairy-based cheesecake. Yes, completely dairy-free!

Raw Blackberry Cheesecake

I soak the raw almonds that are part of the crust layer for this cake, but you don’t have to. And some nuts don’t need soaking, such as macadamia and Brazil nuts. Soaking removes much of the tannins from the skins, and activates the enzymes that make the nut easier to digest. If you’re not into raw crusts, you can use any kind of crust for this cake, it’s just traditionally made with a raw date and nut crust. Some folks add shredded coconut to the crust as well. So it’s up to you.

Regarding the berries, I have so many blackberries right now that I felt immense pressure to use them, but I normally prefer blueberries or strawberries in this recipe. And while I love the tie-dyed look that the berry layer creates as it bleeds into the white layer, I think I prefer the berries processed in with the white layer. Using blueberries or strawberries also relieves me of having to separate the seeds from the berry topping.

Raw Blackberry Cheesecake

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  28 Comments

28 Responses to Raw Blackberry Cheesecake

1. Danielle says:

This looks lovely. I found a wild blackberry bush around back of my house last month and passed it up. Now I wish I would have picked them!

2. Jen says:

This looks lovely! Sometimes when I use cashews in fillings and things, my fillings have a grayish tint. This cheesecake looks so white and pretty! I can’t wait to try it.

Jen

Same here, Jen. The coconut oil gives it a more distinct white coloring. It does look a bit beige when processed but as soon as it freezes, it appears white.

3. Pingback: Weekend Wellness Roundup | Lovely Healthy

4. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I have been looking for a good raw cheesecake recipe for a while and I think I might have to give this one a go, it looks delicious!

5. Mindy says:

Mine was so much flatter than yours even though I used an 8 inch pan. Tasted great though. the best part was trying to get my friends and family to guess what was in it. No one figured it out.

6. Jill says:

Hi Erica! Where do you source your raw cashews? I checked your amazon store but no luck there. Thanks!

Hi Jill. I get raw cashews at Trader Joe’s or my local PCC or Whole Foods. The prices on Amazon are a bit high (and not even organic). I bet the places that sell nuts online will be a good source, such as Honeyville and Nutsonline.

7. Jessica says:

Hi – Can you tell me where you found that beautiful white cake stand? It’s amazing!

8. Lindsay Campbell says:

Hi Erica,

Will a plain old black and decker food processor be powerful enough to make the filling? Or do you really need Vita mixer?

Thanks
    Lindsay

9. Lindsay says:

I just thought of another question: could cashew butter be used instead of grinding up the nuts?

Lindsay

10. Aukje says:

Great recipe! Thanks,

Aukje

11. Aukje says:

Hi Erica,

I was just wondering what food processor you use. I did manage to break down the cashews in a simple blender, but have a feeling it would taste better had I been able to blend them better.

Thanks!
    Aukje

I use a Cuisinart and I run it for a minute or so, at least. You can let it run in the blender for a while as well, although a high-speed blender is going to be much more effective. You can get it really creamy with the higher-end equipment, which you may not be seeing. But try running it for a long time to see if it will eventually get there.

• Aukje says:

Thanks – my food processor is up for replacement, so that’s why I was asking… I ran it for about 7 minutes in my blender, but still….

12. Elisabeth says:

Is there a substitute for the coconut oil? I have alot of food intolerants and coconut is one of them.

13. Sands says:

I have come back to recipe many times but only tried it today. It’s my mom’s birthday but she is on the other side of the globe enjoying it with my rest of the family. So I made this to perk myself up, it came out beautifully. Finally, I can have cake and not feel lousy afterwards. It really is very delicious and pretty easy. Thank you so much for sharing your hard worked recipes.