Here’s a complete dish that’s great to prepare any time of year: Chicken Shawarma and roasted cauliflower rice with parsley, dried apricots and cranberries.
I can eat a huge bowl of the jeweled cauliflower rice with a generous serving of lemon yogurt on top and a tall glass of sparkling water, and I’m good. The chicken is for the omnivores, however occasionally I toss in a small slice of spice-coated chicken on top of my plate. While it’s the rice, apricots, and yogurt that send me over the moon, the chicken spice blend creates an amazing coating for the chicken that pairs so well with the sweetness of the rice and tartness of the yogurt.
There’s a healthy list of spices in this recipe, however I did leave out black pepper, but feel free to add a teaspoon of ground black pepper to the spice blend.
One last thing: here’s a video on two ways to smash garlic. I remove the skin by pressing the garlic cloves with a knife, and then toss the garlic in the food processor with the spices.
- 8 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander options (I don't always have this and it still comes out great!)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup high heat oil
- 2.5 pounds chicken thighs deboned, skinless
- Preheat your grill to around 500ºF (230ºC, or gas mark 8). See recipe notes to broil the chicken in an oven instead of on a grill.
- Place the garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, allspice, salt and oil in a food processor and pulse until you have a paste. Alternatively, you can use a mortar and pestle or a blender.
- Trim the chicken of excess fat and coat it with the spice paste.
- Grill the chicken for about 8 minutes on each side.
- Slice and serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Combine the rice with the apricots, cranberries, and parsley.
- Add the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to your liking, and blend well.
- Serve with lemon yogurt or fresh lemon wedges.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients and blend well.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.