I appreciate cauliflower’s versatility. It’s sort of like the vanilla of vegetables. Plain, yet can take on many textures and flavors. Here’s a corn-free take on polenta using cauliflower.
There are many ways to dress up “polenta”, so I’ll leave that up to your imagination and taste. Having this basic recipe in your back pocket means you just need to dream up the other stuff that pairs well with it.
I can eat polenta with almost anything. Alone with some Parmesan mixed in or shredded over it. My favorite is roasted veggies, mushrooms, and some greens to top it off, hence the photos of my latest meal with cauliflower polenta.
Sometimes, at the very end of cooking the polenta, I’ll blend in some Parmesan to create a creamier version of the same. If I add Parmesan, I also reduce the amount of salt I add to the cauliflower.
For the photos, I topped the polenta with roasted ratatouille from my first cookbook, or you can use this recipe. I also chopped up about 2 cups of crimini mushrooms and sautéed them in a teaspoon of oil and a pinch or two of salt on a low heat for about 10 minutes or so, until they began to darken (not burnt but almost).
- Food processor, unless you buy cauliflower pre-riced
- 1 large cauliflower head 2 pounds or 900 g; see recipe notes
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder optional
- Chop the cauliflower head into chunks and pulse the pieces in a food processor. Pulse until all the cauliflower is in very small grain-like pieces.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Once the pan is warm, add the cauliflower, butter, about half of the water, and salt. Stir the cauliflower to melt the butter and then simmer in the water. Add more water as necessary
- Simmer with a steady bubble for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft but not mush. While it's simmering, add a bit more water if needed.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the turmeric. Taste it and add more salt to taste, or Parmesan cheese if you prefer.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.