I’m calling these sandwich rolls, but feel free to use them in any way you’d like. They make great buns and are equally good as toast and french toast.
You probably already know what you’re going to do with them, however here are a few ideas that I’ve enjoyed so far…
- slicing them in half
- eating them whole
- slathering them with butter
- toasting them and slathering them with butter
- building peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
- covering them with everything bagel topping
I use blanched almond flour however feel free to use cashew flour or other nut or seed flour.
As for the pan type, I use large muffin pans, however you can use any kind of pan you like, including a donut pan to make bagels or bagel rolls. Just make sure the pan is non-stick.
I recommend using a non-stick muffin top pan or muffin rings to bake the rolls since the dough is not firm but thick and pourable. I also recommend sprinkling the top of each roll with bagel seasoning such as Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning before you place the pan in the oven to bake.
If you prefer you can use baking powder in place of baking soda. If you find them a bit dry, you can add 1 additional tablespoon of milk, or use heavy cream instead of milk.
- 1 cup (96 g) almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (56.7 g) butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (or other milk)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7).
- Combine almond flour and baking soda in a mixer bowl or other bowl and mix to blend. You can also use a whisk to blend the batter.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix to blend well.
- Spread the batter among 6 Muffin ring molds or a muffin top baking pan (non-stick), and shuffle the pan to even out the batter. Optionally, sprinkle seasoning on top of each roll.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Cool. Store sealed in the refrigerator for several days, or in the freezer for a few months.
Makes 3 rolls (6 halves) using a muffin top pan or muffin rings. Or, you can slice each and have 12 halves or 6 rolls.