Chocolate Pudding {using avocado}

Chocolate pudding, cacao nibs, raspberries

This is probably the easiest treat I’ve made using a food processor. It’s a no-cook chocolate pudding. Yes, you read it correctly – no heat needed. I could call it raw pudding, but I’ll spare you the food buzz terminology.

You may be aware of this creamy delight, or have read about it.  Try it. It may have been posing as chocolate mousse – but whatever it’s called, it’s thick, creamy, and tastes just like chocolate pudding to my taste buds.

Chocolate pudding & raspberries

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  57 Comments

57 Responses to Chocolate Pudding {using avocado}

1. Janet NZ says:

Wow! Erica this looks amazing. I love avocado, but never thought to combine it with chocolate. What a treat! Thank you

2. j says:

Mmmm I love this. I use it as icing on cake too!

3. Sophie says:

Waw!! What a healthy & divine looking chocolate pudding!!

MMMMMMMM,..all the way!!

4. Wow, I’m amazed by how easy this is to make. I would have never thought to add avocado to a dessert recipe. This is too intriguing for me to pass up, thank for posting it!

5. nancy says:

I made this tonight. It’s AMAZING.

6. Tracey says:

Put the leftovers in a Popsicle mold and and you will have the best fudgesicles ever!

7. Emily says:

Always looking for inventive ways to eat avocados…YUM!

8. Ann says:

This looks AMAZING, cant wait to try it! anyway you could turn this into a vanilla pudding?

9. Tanya says:

I made this yesterday and arranged it to work for my diet. Instead of maple syrup I added stevia. It was delicious over my strawberries for Valentines day! Thanks so much for this recipe. The more I let it sit in the fridge the better and better it tasted. There was no avocado taste at all.

10. J says:

This may be a silly question, but do you mean REAL maple syrup, not something like Log Cabin or Mrs. Buttersworth? I assume you do, I just wanted to double check because I don’t have any real maple so I would need to buy it when I buy the avacados. Can’t wait to try this. I once had a recipe for Avacado ice cream, but I never got around to trying it so there are actually other avacado dessert recipes out there. But this is the first time I’ve seen a chocolate one…and chocolate is Oh SO GOOD!

Also, do let us know if you ever find out how much Stevia was used as my husband is diabetic so it would be nice to be able to make a special batch for him too.

Yes, real maple syrup. I’m sure you could substitute it with honey or agave if you have that around.

While I’m not a Stevia expert, but here is a general ratio guideline:

1/4 tsp Stevia (powered)=1 cup of sugar in sweetness, so for this recipe I would guess that you can add about 1/8 tsp of Stevia to the pudding and maybe some extra liquid (like milk or water).

I found this info helpful: http://gfcf-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/substitutions-gfcf-recipes.htm#Anchor-sugar

• debby says:

ok i made this but tried to just do a half to try it and not waste any costly ingredients, but i used some of the regular un sweet cocoo and some of the dark chocolate un sweet cocoa powder, i used a little maple syrup and honey, i now have a about a cup of a very chocolate very thick, kinda paste type of stuff..more like frosting, i would frost a cake with this and no one would not that it is not a fudge frosting..so how long will this last in a bowl with screw lid? i was going to thin out some to see if i could get it into a pudding type consisitency..it is very good, next time i will use a little less dark chocolate poweder….how can i use this in other ways? i was thinking of some how mixing almond flour, oat flour and perhaps making a choco type of baked donut?
        anyhow any thoughts, was it suppose to turn out this thick or more like a pudding…either way it will kill a choco craving in a heart beat thats for sure..
        you can email me if you like
        grmadeb01@aol.com

11. hobby baker says:

Okay, this was pretty darn good as is, but with a bunch of whipped cream folded in, it made the most amazing chocolate mousse ever! I would definitely make it again for chocolate mousse. Thanks for such an unusual tasty recipe!

12. kapu says:

do you use unsweetened or sweetened cocoa powder?

13. kapu says:

do you have the cal, carb and sugar counts?

14. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan – Week of May 9 and GF Happenings | Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom

15. TIana says:

I just made a very similar recipe but added a half cup of milk and the measurements were a little different, I think its amazing, and my family liked the first bite but didn’t like it after that, I have about 3 servings left I am wondering if its ok to refridgerate until tomorrow? I worry because the avacado doesn’t have the lime juice in it to keep it from browning, guess I should have kept the seed to stick in it.

Yes, you can keep it in the refrigerator for several days. It actually tastes better frozen, in my opinion. I did have this reaction from one of my kids – he prefers it frozen. No need for lime juice – it’s already brown :)

16. Danette says:

We’ll have to try this ASAP!!! Thanks for posting so many yummy, healthy treats!

17. Emily Williams says:

could you substitute honey for the maple syrup?

18. Emily Williams says:

This is awesome, even without the nib/raspberries! Thanks so much, my chocolate craving is satisfied.

19. Kate says:

wow, this looks delicious. I scrolled through the ingredients thinking, really, is that all? I love how things with avocado are so creamy, so I will certainly have to try this. Thank you for a great recipe:)

20. PCJAE says:

Just tried this out. Wondering what I did wrong. It has too much cocoa and was a little bitter. Instead of using all maple syrup, I used half coconut nectar and half maple syrup. That could be the problem. I also used 2 tablespoons of raw milk. Because the pudding was not sweet enough, I added 1/4 cup of raw honey and 10 drops of liquid Stevia. I’ve decided that 1 cup of cocoa was too much. I’m planning to try it again but going to slowly add the cocoa to get the right mix. Thanks for sharing this recipe, and I really appreciate all the comments.

• PCJAE says:

Today with the leftovers, I added thick coconut milk (from a can). It was delicious! Going to be sharing this recipe and making it again. Already bought more avocados.

21. Jocelyn says:

Do you know the nutritional facts for this recipe?

22. melanie says:

Just tried this recipe tonight – was sceptical before I started but when I tried it I was absolutely amazed. I made the lemon poppy seed cupcakes and used the chocolate avocado for the icing. My husband is the fussiest eater but he really liked it. I’m freezing the leftovers and making fudgsicles. Thanks again!

23. Melissa S says:

Could you use xylitol in the recipe instead of maple syrup? I can’t have sugar right now except for natural and don’t like stevia.

24. Melissa S says:

I did try it with xylitol using 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons and it came out great! I used almond milk to make it less thick! YUM Thanks!!!

25. Pingback: Sugar-Free Avocado Chocolate Pudding « Rollin' Oats Market and Cafe

26. Cassandra says:

O M G ! I made this when I read the recipe and served it to my husband, not telling him it was made with avos. He said it was THE best pudding he ever had and he is a chocolate freak. Into the second batch I made I put a bit of orange flavored brandy. Whooppee! Now I will try other liquors – hazelnut, Kahlua, triple sec, non-alcoholic coconut, almond, and hazelnut milks, different flavored coffees and teas. I will try it frozen, I will try it on a cake, I will try it on anything that I can bake. I will roll it into balls for truffles and candy. I will eat it plain and it will be just dandy! (shades of Dr. Seuss) Erica, you have created a monster. Thank you!

Cass

27. Tzippy says:

Just made this for my kids. Even with my stinky old blender that couldn’t handle a thick mixture like this and left me tiny green chunks – it was still WOW delicious! Can’t wait to give this to my kiddies tonight. I think they are going to be in heaven.

28. Lindsay Campbell says:

This is the BEST pudding ever!!! And it does make GREAT popsicles. The boys like to dip thier fruit in it too. It hasn’t lasted long enough for me it use as icing yet. I’ll have to try adding whipped cream to it to make it into a mousse (that sounds amazing!).

Lindsay

29. Bonnie Clough says:

I made this for friends last night and it IS fabulous – my first experience with avocados and it was great. Unfortunately for me I need to avoid the excess Vitamin K in avos, any idea what I could substitute?

30. Asha says:

This is awesome! Didn’t know an avocado had such potential!

31. Pam says:

Totally just ate this for breakfast using dark cocoa powder and topped w/ raspberries and almonds. Definitely the BEST chocolate pudding of my life :)

32. Pingback: The health benefits of avocado and 10 yummy ways to eat it | A Delightful Home

33. Sarah says:

Can you imagine a coconut spin on this, with coconut cream whipped into whipped “cream” to put on top? Yum.

34. I loved it! It’s creamy and not too sweet, good texture too. Thanks for sharing!

35. amanda says:

This was amazing! My kids loved it. I love that I can use it as a frosting too, or freeze.