Here’s a grain-free, gluten-free recipe for sweet and sour meatballs using pineapple juice, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, and a few other healthy ingredients. You can use ground turkey, chicken, or other source of ground meat.
Sweet and sour meatballs are a great appetizer or main dish to share with a crowd, bring to a party, or just pack in a lunch. You can freeze them or make ahead and then warm up when you’re ready.
As for holiday and New Year’s celebrations, I’ve learned over the years to celebrate as much as possible. The little triumphs as well as the big ones. And I welcome the opportunity to learn and grow from the bumps, roadblocks, and crashes. It all makes life brighter and more fulfilling.
At the end of every year I collect my thoughts and savor all the good stuff that happened before I jump into the new year with an open heart and mind. I’m grateful for all the wonderful comments, shares, photos of my recipes, private notes of thanks, and the opportunity to share my creations.
Happy New Year! May it bring you health, peace, and much love.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground meat (turkey, chicken or other)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C, or gas mark 4).
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with non-stick mats or parchment paper.
- Prepare the sauce: Place the sauce ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the meatballs: Process or finely chop the green onions.
- Combine the onions and the remaining meatball ingredients and process or blend in a large bowl.
- Spoon out about 30 small meatballs and spread them out across both baking sheets. To make them rounder and smooth, roll them before placing them on the mat.
- Bake the meatballs for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Combine the meatballs and sauce, and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator for a few days or freeze for a few months.