Coconut Lime Macaroons

Comfy Belly: Coconut Lime Macaroons

I brought chocolate dipped macaroons to a Passover seder earlier this week. They were not the only macaroons for the taking. There were at least 6 other variations on macaroons, including one style that was the size of a baseball, and a few with so many ingredients that we needed a quick tour of which had soy, nuts, or other possibly dicey ingredients. It was an overwhelmingly medley of macaroon dessert options that required some to think carefully about their choice.

Comfy Belly: Coconut Lime Macaroons

Comfy Belly: Coconut Lime Macaroons

Earlier that day I was buried in tasks and emails and as a result I shortcutted my usual recipe by not whipping the egg whites and eliminated some ingredients. I quickly tossed a small number of ingredients in a large bowl, blended the mix with a wooden spoon, and used a teaspoon and my fingers to scoop and shape the macaroons on to Silpat mats and bake.

The result kind of confirmed for me that for macaroons, it’s a basic and versatile set of ingredients that always come together, along with the addition of lemon or lime zest. I use a microplane zester, but if you don’t have one of these you can finely grate the lime (or lemon) rind to produce a citrus zest.

This recipe was inspired by Coconut and Lime Macaroons — Macarons noix de coco et citron vert and my Lemon, Vanilla, and Chocolate Kissed Macaroons.

Comfy Belly: Coconut Lime Macaroons

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  14 Comments

14 Responses to Coconut Lime Macaroons

1. Oh my goodness. I can’t believe I have never made macaroons before. What a delicious combination of flavors!

2. Abby says:

Those sound so refreshing for Spring! Can’t wait to try them!

3. I just got my copy of your cook book today! I am pouring over it like a treasure map! It’s not only beautiful but packed with lots of extras. You did a great job with it and I can’t wait to try several recipes. The first one on my list is the faux cous cous. Thanks Erica :)

4. Jen says:

I will definitely be making these soon! I was in Wegman’s the other day feeling sorry for myself about something and starting eyeballing the sweets. I told myself to knock it off and headed for the checkout, only to spy the macaroons. Well those are at least paleo I thought, except that when I checked the ingredients I saw wheat flour! So I hightailed it out of there before I could make a poor decision.

I hear you. I was amazed the first time I made macaroons without flour. I had no idea.

• Jen says:

So I made these tonight. Instead of going to bed since I have to work in the morning. Best decision ever! :P
          These are so simple and so good! I dipped half of them in dark chocolate and left the other half plain, and I love both! I used the 3T of honey and find them very moist, but I used farm eggs so I’m thinking maybe I had more whites as my mixture was very wet. In any event, thanks for this recipe. I will definitely make these often!

5. Elizabeth F says:

I made these about a week ago, and, yes, they are VERY easy AND very YUMMY! I used the full 1/4 cup of honey, but will probably try the 3 TB recommendation next time, as my mix was very wet, and I think I would have personally preferred just a bit less moist macaroon. The lime flavor was just right–not too faint nor too strong. I did not dip mine in chocolate as suggested simply because I didn’t have any on hand. I will have to try that next time, but definitely good even without it. Thanks.

I agree – the most recent batch for me was wet as well. I sometimes estimate the amount of honey and I tend to put in less than 1/4 cup.

6. Jon says:

Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this recipe. I am not sure what happened. I followed the recipe exactly and they did not turn out right. The “batter” was not holding together, it was falling apart, I could not scoop them or shape them. I had to add a little bit of flour.

It’s not the kind of batter that sticks together easily (a bit fussy) but it should bake just fine. You can add a bit more shredded coconut if it’s too wet. What happened when you added flour?