Chicken Tikka Masala

Chicken Tikka Masala - Comfy Belly

I’ve been wanting to make this dish for years, and while I’m mostly into fish as a source of animal protein, the amazing array of spices drew me in.

Chicken Tikka Masala - Comfy Belly

Don’t get me wrong—I still cook chicken now and then, mostly for others, especially this much-requested chicken dish. What really appealed to me though—the scent of garam masala, and the fact that my little stash has been sitting in my spice cabinet way too long. Spices lose their potency over a several months, and ground spices last only about a year.

I looked up the origin of Chicken Tikki Masala and I had to laugh at what Wikipedia had to say:

“Chicken tikka masala is chicken tikka, chunks of chicken marinated in spices and yogurt, that is then baked in a tandoor oven, and served in a masala (spice mix) sauce. A tomato and coriander sauce is common, but there is no standard recipe for chicken tikka masala; a survey found that of 48 different recipes, the only common ingredient was chicken.”

My guides were several recipes found while searching online. I chose the spices that I favored (and had on hand) and then tasted as I went along. And for those, like me, who are not tolerant of certain spices (black pepper is the one I avoid), you can make your own garam masala using a variation on the usual ingredients.

I recommend pairing this with basmati rice (like this recipe) or for a grain-free rice try my saffron cauliflower rice (recipe follows).

The first time I had this dish I was a few weeks out of surgery. That night I slept like a baby and woke up feeling renewed. I’m planning on keeping my own custom blend of garam masala to sprinkle around. Wishing you much spice in your life!

Chicken Tikka Masala - Comfy BellyChicken Tikka Masala - Comfy Belly

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Wheat-Free  |  11 Comments

11 Responses to Chicken Tikka Masala

1. Salixisme says:

Chicken Tikka Masala is one of the curries that my husband most often requests that I make (apart from a vindaloo). We have very fond memories of eating it from Indian takeaways in the UK, but it is almost impossible to find in Canada, so I make it at home. Love the stuff!

Apart from going to an Indian restaurant, I’m not sure where I would find it around my area. Funny that you mentioned the UK because Wikipedia says that it is quite popular in the UK and they suggest the it is a British version of chicken tikka!

2. Beth says:

I love Indian food. Can’t wait to try this. Looks like it will become one of my favorites. Thank you.

3. L Bligh says:

Thanks so much for this recipe. I made it two nights ago (using SCD yogurt) and the whole family loved it. The leftovers were my daughter’s school lunch the next day.

It really tastes like restaurant Chicken Tikka Masala.

Recipes like this make SCD so much easier to sustain.

Good to hear! This dish makes great leftovers, so glad you discovered that. Yes, one of the tricks to SCD is to make more of everything so you always have leftovers. And that kind of works for any food lifestyle :)

Quick update: If your tomatoes are tart you can add a drizzle or so of honey or maple syrup after you add the crushed tomatoes.

5. Dara says:

Hi Erica,

I just made Chicken Tikka Masala + Cashew Cream for dinner and everyone loved it! Thank you so much for the recipe – it is definitely one of my favorites :)

6. Kay says:

I know this would completely change the dish-but is there anyway you could make this without the tomatoes? Perhaps substituting pureed carrots or pumpkin or something? Hmmm. Unfortunately I’m allergic to tomatoes–although I have been dying for some tikka masala!!