Homemade Candied Nuts

Candied Pecans

Here are two ways to make candied nuts: one in a frying pan and the other in the oven. These recipes work for any kind of nut, and the current nut of choice in our home is the pecan.

One recipe uses a raw sugar, but you can use any kind of granulated sugar. The other recipe works with honey or maple syrup. I haven’t tried other syrups or sugars, but if you do, let me know. And both recipes can be doubled easily.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  18 Comments

18 Responses to Homemade Candied Nuts

1. Jaime says:

Soy free earth balance butter, and amber agave, with a few splashes of organic pure vanilla,then i am so into those nuts! bravo!

2. Christy Tealsey says:

I just made these nuts using the honey recipe and they are SO delicious! These are going to be a staple in my house. I used pecans this time but I’m thinking walnuts are up next. Thanks for the recipe!

3. I just stumbled across your website while doing research for a candied walnut recipe. Our thoughts on food are very similar and your site is absolutely beautiful!

4. Willow says:

I made a pumpkin seed/walnut mix version with maple syrup. I started out in a pan and had melted some butter with it, and decided to put it in the oven. I added some nutmeg, so basically it’s nuts, maple syrup, nutmeg and butter. They are so good!

5. k cole says:

Thanks for the recipe!..made with 2T Raw Wildflower Honey & 1 T of maple syrup so I could get both flavors…they turned out GREAT!!!…Giving out homeade xmas gifts this year and this will be one of them :)

6. MAVikki says:

I made a whole pound of these from local pecans and brought them to work … people LOVED them. I used real Vermont maple syrup. Don’t bother with “pancake syrup” it won’t work. Honey would be my second choice. Try them, you won’t regret it!

7. Alyssa says:

Hi Erica! I made these nuts tonight after the leftover pad Thai. What a treat! I did the honey way because I am on scd. I then I just found a new favorite recipe website! Thank you Erica!
    Ps I was thinking to incorporate these awesome candied nuts with apples somehow? What do you think? We’re eating an apple tonight and mixed our bites with the nuts and yummy! I need a recipe though bc I’m not creative like that.
    Alyssa

8. K N Books says:

hello Erica
    I’ve published Elaine’s book Breaking the Vicious Cycle in Portuguese language and have started a page on facebook about the SCD with hints and recipes for SCD followers in Brazil and Portugal. Brazilians love candied nuts and today I published this recipe in my facebook page (with a few changes). I hope that you don’t mind. Tomorrow I’d like to publish something about your blog (again, I hope that you don’t mind!).
    I think that your recipes are great and inspiring. If you want to look at the facebook page, the link is: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DICE-Dieta-do-Carboidrato-Espec%C3%ADfico/276554622470113

9. Mary says:

Thanks a million! So hard to find recipe like these to use without thermometer.

10. Melanie says:

I will be making these for Christmas gifts, and of course to enjoy at home! We love candied walnuts and pecans.

11. Pauline says:

Great recipe, can these be frozen or kept in the refrigerator so they stay fresh.

12. Judy says:

Amazingly simple yet so delicious!! I made these in the oven with maple syrup. I want to try to make some spicy next time, or changing up the spices (like more cinnamon, or a sweet and salty version). I’m very happy I saw this!!

13. Marcee says:

Curious on how long these nuts can be stored? If given as a gift and heat sealed in a bag?

I’m not sure of the scientific answer to this, and it probably depends on the age of the nuts to begin with, but I keep sealed nuts for up to 6 months. Hope that helps!