Chicken Dumpling Soup {Matzo Ball Soup}

Chicken Dumpling Soup

It’s possible that I make the fastest chicken soup in the (North)west. It takes 30 minutes. And I add dumplings (known to some as matzo balls). This is truly comfort food.

I had a left-over roast chicken in the fridge with a good amount of white meat left on it. And the rest is history. I always treat chicken soup like stone soup. Throw in a bunch of sea salt, carrots, celery, peas, and other leftover veggies, and boil.

Posted in Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Paleo, SCD, Soup  |  22 Comments

22 Responses to Chicken Dumpling Soup {Matzo Ball Soup}

1. Tracee says:

I love dumplings, but haven’t had them in 2 years. This looks good!
    Oh, don’t dispose that chicken carcass–put it in the crockpot and make a light chicken broth with it.

2. Karen says:

Oh My, what a lovely picture and I can’t wait to try this soup.

3. Gina says:

Yum, this is on my “to make” list! I love chicken and dumplings, and thought I’d need to leave the dumplings out from now on. So excited to try this!

Tracee, LOL. I stand corrected: Yes, use that carcass for another round.

5. Steve says:

THis looks great, I have been craving dumplings. One of my favorie things growing up was my mom’s beef stew with dumplings. Being a frugal mother of 5, she wouldn’t let any leftover dumpling dough go to waste, so she would boil canned blueberries and add the leftover dumplings to that, and top with whipped cream for desert. One of my favorite meals. I’ll have to try this and possibly with a beef stew as well. Why does the word carcass make it sound less appealing? lol

Steve, I know what you mean about the word carcass. I couldn’t come up with something better… chicken remains? I duuno.

7. Erica, this looks so good that I’m going to make it right now! I just never thought of using my almond flour for the dumplings. What a great idea!

8. Kitty says:

Erica, I love, love, LOVE your blog! Will you ever come out with a recipe book so we die-hard readers can collect all of them in one bound issue.
    Thanks!

Thanks Kitty. Good to know ;).

10. Erin says:

I just finished making a big pot of chicken stew in the Crockpot. I’ve recently (less than a week ago) gone gluten free so instead of making noodles for it I thought I’d approximate my Mom’s chicken and dumplings minus the dumplings and loading veggies in instead. While the stew turned out great, turns out I really miss the dumplings. I’m going to try making a small batch of these dumplings tomorrow and cook them up in the soup I reheat! Thanks for the recipe!! I’m excited about these!

11. Carol Canale says:

Just made these dumplings with the last of my homegrown chives. They are WONDERFUL! Thank you for the recipe!

12. JulieAnne Fleck says:

with the whole roasted chicken, should I take the skin off first, or would that help flavor it?

13. wendeth says:

Have you made dumplings with any other flour….coconut perhaps. We are sticking to only almond and coconut and I wasn’t crazy about the almond dumplings. I’ve considered just trying it myself, but thought I’d see if there was an opinion on it.

14. Megan says:

I made this last night and it was a success!!! I have 4 kids and it’s so difficult to get everyone to like something but you have done it! They all LOVED it. And it was so easy. Thank you.

15. Erin says:

Can the dumplings be made ahead of time?

16. Kira says:

Do you add any liquid to make the soup?