Butter Biscuits {using almond flour}

Butter biscuits

There are a couple of things that almond flour does so well, in my humble opinion: scones, cookies, and biscuits. If you haven’t made biscuits using almond flour, do it at least once.

Bacon biscuits

This recipe is so flexible. And the dough freezes well. It’s similar to the onion cheddar biscuits, Elana’s Pantry’s and Roost’s biscuits, all made with almond flour. The ratio of ingredients for this recipe doesn’t differ much, apart from the type of oil or butter you use, whether you add honey and how much, and what other goodies you might add on. My latest interest is cultured butter and ghee, and the butter flavor comes out great in this recipe.

Cutting biscuit dough

The two types I’ve made are plain butter biscuits and bacon biscuits. One vegetarian, and one not. I think that way a lot lately. I do have to admit that I tasted and loved the bacon biscuits. Next time I’m adding some chopped chives as well.

If you’re in the mood for corn muffins instead of biscuits, and want to use almond flour and corn flour, try these and just leave out the blueberries. You can also use them for stuffing.

Biscuit closeup

Posted in Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  52 Comments

52 Responses to Butter Biscuits {using almond flour}

1. Ashley says:

These are delicious! I love biscuits and was very happy to see this when you posted it. Right now I am dairy free for 30 days, so I subbed grape seed oil in for the butter and they came out great.

I am grateful to you for taking the time and energy to not only making all of these wonderful dishes but also sharing them with the world. Thank you! Wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving.

2. I was always wary of baking with almond meal, but after trying a few recipes, I was hooked. The deep, nutty flavor is amazing.

3. Pingback: Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – November 27, 2011 « Celiac Kitchen Witch

4. Dani says:

Another fabulous almond flour recipe! Delicious! Thank you for making my life a lot happier and my baking life a lot easier!!

5. Jill says:

These were great! I made them for breakfast one morning and then used the leftovers for a quick mini pizza night. Easy and yummy! Thank you. I love your site!

6. Erika says:

These really are outstanding. We’ve tried subbing both coconut oil (melted) and a certain soy-free/dairy-free butter replacement, and they are just terrific every time.

7. Cheryl says:

I wonder how using coconut oil, the hard stuff, would taste in this? It makes everything else cooked in it taste wonderful, I’ll bet it would work. And, it is good for our bodies.

Has anyone tried it?

8. Sharon Murrel says:

Is there anyway to make these as drop biscuits?

9. Kristen says:

Thank you, thank you for this wonderful recipe! As someone who is attempting to balance a gluten, dairy, and sugar-free lifestyle, these biscuits were delicious and easy to amend.

I substitute coconut oil for the butter (1-to 1 ratio) and omit the honey and they turn out beautifully.

10. Christine says:

Butter Biscuits turned out great. I used molasses instead of honey and made them smaller, they were like muffin tops. This ones a keeper, Thanks!

11. Mari says:

These turned out to be amazing! I was craving for biscuits. Thank you so much!

12. Roberta says:

These look soo yummy. I was wondering, though, could they be baked atop a chicken pot pie or fruit filling?

13. Sherry says:

This looks great! Just curious if you have tried freezing them? Do they reheat well?

14. Pingback: Week 1: Primal Transitioning. | sevenlies.net

15. jenna says:

When you roll out are they extremely thin? i just put some in oven and thats how mine were

Not sure. I just replied to your FB question. Did you possibly leave out the baking soda? They’re not that thick though and I use a cookie cutter to keep them in a tight shape. Not sure if that’s why.

16. Pingback: Eat It: Butter Biscuits (made with almond flour) | sevenlies.net

17. Ruth says:

I love this recipe, and have made it quite a few times.
    I have never put my dough in the freezer, though, as you say to do. Am I missing something important? The biscuits always turn out beautifully and we all love them. I’m nearly always in a hurry to get them on the table for dinner, or I’d have tried the freezing before now. Is it only to make the dough easier to roll out? I do not roll out the dough. Instead I form it with my hands directly on my greased pans. I have well -seasoned baking stones, and have found no need for parchment paper.
    Thank you for the excellent recipe!

18. Hannah says:

Is the honey a requirement in this recipe? Can it be substituted with another sweetener like stevia?

Other liquid sweeteners can be used for sure. i’m not sure if stevia will work, but liquid stevia would. Just make sure you replace the same amount of liquid from the honey.

19. Pingback: How to Avoid Blowing Up Yourself Up From the Inside Out During the Holidays! | Mom Gone Paleo

20. Pingback: Greek hamburger (with feta, basil n sundried tomatoes) | TheCreativeCaveman

21. Jen says:

I’m so excited to make these biscuits and wish I happened upon the recipe before Thanksgiving! At some point in the future, I’m going to post a chicken stew and biscuits recipe that is a remake of an Ina Garten recipe that we (used to) love. (It’s loaded with white flour…) I wanted to ask permission to use your biscuit recipe in my post – but instead of me typing the recipe for the biscuits, I would just link up to your recipe here. The pot-pie filling would be my creation and the recipe for that would be on my blog post. I’m not comfortable using your recipe and back linking without your permission.

Thank you for the wonderful recipes and photography! Have a blessed Christmas and New Year.

Jen
    my BIG FAT grain free life

22. Marianna says:

These biscuits are absolutely delicious! They are the best almond flour biscuits I have ever tasted! I will be making these again! Thank you so much for the recipe! =)

23. Suzanne says:

We made the bacon flavored biscuits, and they were delicious! Used them to make egg sandwiches. We just started experimenting with almond flour, and these were so good, I can’t wait to try some of the other recipes (banana bread is next!)
    Thank you for the great infomation.

24. Lisa says:

This recipe is the greatest!!! I have made them 3 times in the last week!!!
    Does anyone know what the nutritional value is on this incredible recipe? I used coconut oil instead of butter. Thanks so much!!! Loving the ideas and enjoying my kitchen once again!!

25. Barbara H. says:

Almond flour was terribly expensive at the store I went to, Is there a substitution? I have almond meal in my cupboard waiting for gluten free crackers, Is there any way I could use that? Please inspire me to cook in this terrible heat:-) ! Yes, I am hungry.

I think any nut or seed flour or ground nut would likely work, but I haven’t tested it.

• Lisa says:

I really like them best with the superfine almond flour. The almond flours most available at the grocery stores are more a meal and work fab for making a cornbread texture. Honeyville and Lucy’s Kitchen Shop are the ones I have tried. Lucy’s is my fav.

26. kim says:

Just took these out of the oven and can’t wait to try with butter and fruit. I want to make them to have biscuits and gravy with eggs. would love to have a gluten free gravy! I am new to being gluten free and cooking healthier.
    Thank you for your website- terrific information.

27. brenda says:

Is there a way to make these without eggs? I have food sensitivities and now have to live without eggs, grains..etc. I would love to try these!

not sure, as I haven’t tried it yet. I suggest flaxseed meal, which is 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds plus 3 tablespoons of water, mix well and add to the batter.

28. Pingback: Favorite GAPS/Paleo Recipes From Across The Web | Nourishing The Osbornes

29. Kailani says:

Beautiful buttery biscuits. I baked with using both the ghee and coconut oil, .either worked great. Sprinkled a bit of turbinado cane sugar on top of the biscuit dough before baking. It added a nice subtle little bite of sweetness. The biscuits were a perfect compliment to your recipe for Minestrone Soup. Great recipe instructions and lovely photos Thank you again

30. Pingback: Winter Comfort | Emily K Freistatter