Refrigerator Cake

Slice of Refrigerator Cake

It was my birthday a few days ago and I made myself a cake – mostly because I make most of the cakes around here, and I knew exactly what I wanted. An almond flour cake, chocolate ganache, and strawberries, refrigerated for a few hours. That’s all. Oh, and our dog, Dexter, singing Happy Birthday along with the gang.

Refrigerator Cake

This cake has two parts to it: the cake baking and the chocolate ganache topping and filling. And the strawberries, or berry jam. And you don’t need a special occasion for this cake (smile).

Update: This cake can be finicky, so I suggest if you’re looking for a reliable yellow cake, to try either Simple Yellow Cake and Cupcakes, or Yellow Cake Using Almond Flour.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  15 Comments

15 Responses to Refrigerator Cake

1. Becky says:

I made this cake for my brother’s birthday last week. I added some cinnamon to the ganache because in this household, we love cinnamon!! The cake was delicious. Great recipe!

Mmm, cinnamon sounds great. Reminds me of Mexican hot chocolate – they add cinnamon and it’s fabulous.

3. Pat K says:

Thank you for all your time and energy, you are truly appreciated!
    I have made this cake (sans frosting) 3 times as it magically disappears. I eat it warmed for breakfast, cold after lunch, warm for an afternoon snack, warmed after dinner and again warmed for a night time snack. It is my all time favorite recipe that keeps me gluten and sugar free. Thank you again for all your fabulous recipes, as they are delicious and keep my belly comfy!

4. Pat K says:

Thank you for all your time and energy, you are truly appreciated!

5. M says:

I am hypoglycemic and haven’t had a birthday cake in a few years. I made this cake substituting 1/2 applesauce for the honey and sweetened it with stevia. I found a very low sugar chocolate bar by Lindt and made the ganache with it. It is absolutely delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe!

M – awesome! thanks so much for sharing. Glad you had a cake to celebrate!

7. Jillian says:

How did I miss this? It looks awesome and I will most definitely be trying it soon!!

8. amy says:

This cake has became the go to cake in my house! It is good plain,w/ganache, w/homemade vanilla ice cream, w/homemade berry topping, or even dairy free(I used coconut oil, milk, and yogurt). Grain lovers and grain-free peoples LOVE Love this cake! It is easy to make and the batter smells like a yellow cake mix! So good! Thank you!!!

9. Alicia says:

Mine sunk in the middle after baking it an additional 10 mins. What did I do wrong? Do you use a convection oven?
    The batter tasted delicious…

it’s a bit finicky. You can try a few things: baking at a lower temperature slightly longer, reduce the amount of honey you add, bake it in a pan with a larger diameter (flatter, but more evenly baked). Hope that helps!

10. Linda Johnson says:

Hi Erica, I just found your site when I looked for recipes using almond flour. A “comfy belly” is what I am looking for. The cakes look great, but I am a pie person. Do you have a good “almond flour pie crust” recipe that I can use for pumpkin pie or lemon meringue pies which I love. I am gluten free but want to use nut flours instead of rice flours. Thank you.

11. marissa w. says:

Hi!
    I made this last night and I had the same problem with the cake sinking in the middle. I still put it all together, but it was very difficult to slice in half. In the end the cake tasted great, but I wasn’t able to give it as a birthday gift.
    I followed the recipe as listed, but I did see the advice you gave to the Alicia. I just thought I would use your recipe as listed before I changed it up. You advised Alicia to use less honey, so maybe next time use a 1/4th of cup? Maybe bake at 300 degrees?
    I really want to try this recipe again:-) I loved all the ingredients and had never baked with almond flour before. It tasted delicious it just didn’t look as pretty as yours!