Baked Egg

Baked egg

I’m in love with the idea of baked eggs, however making them requires a bit of planning and time when the intent is to have them for breakfast during a busy school/work week. Quite often, we run out of the house early or hastily, and it’s either too early to think about cooking and eating, or we’re running late. But in my dreams, I’m making a baked egg in the morning.

Baked egg before the baking

I’m pretty convinced that my best days are when I have a light beginning to the day (water and juices) followed by a salad or egg dish. That’s my ideal though – and hard to fit into our schedule. Of course, this is also great for lunch or dinner, and a lot easier to make in the evening if you have the ingredients handy.

If you’re a bit ambitious and want this for breakfast, you can prepare most of this dish the night before, and then crack the egg and place it gently on top before placing the dish in the oven for about 15 minutes. Then, take a shower, dress, and get back to you egg dish – ready and waiting to be devoured. Am I dreaming?

Some inspiring links:

Eggs-en-cocette from La Tartine Gourmande

Baked eggs from What Katie Ate

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Wheat-Free  |  14 Comments

14 Responses to Baked Egg

1. Courtney says:

Definitely something I could easily become addicted to quickly! Love the bright colors :)

2. Yvette says:

Should the turkey bacon be cooked before hand? Silly question, possibly, but I’d rather know for sure before I start burning stuff!

3. Hi, Erica,
    I love the idea of this. I have made baked eggs by first baking dried pasta (for me it’s gluten-free pasta) covered in chicken or vegetable stock & tomato sauce, and then adding the egg toward the end. Your recipe is making me want to add bacon to the mix!
    Warm regards,
    Nicole

That sounds great. How long do you bake the pasta et al?

• At 400 degrees, Erica, it takes about 30 minutes, more or less – until the egg is set. I remember when I posted it on my blog (ages ago) one of my readers said that it sounded strange, but turned out really delicious. Bacon would only make it that much better (as it does most everything)!

Warm regards,
        Nicole

4. marina says:

Great recipe, I usually do eggs on stovetop but the baked one looks cool!
    I remember in the past my kids daycare cook made a whole pan of baked meat with baked eggs for the kids lunches!

5. Pat says:

This looks like Canadian Bacon instead of the small strips of turkey bacon we have in the store- and Canadian Bacon is precooked?

6. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday | So Anyway Today . . .

7. Mia's mama says:

This is so good! I throw in chopped spinach and place it under sliced natural ham so it doesn’t burn and throw diced tomatoes on top. Great breakfast that takes little time away from the morning routine.